.2

Word count: 1,615

I sighed when my alarm went off. The scene of last night replayed in my head, bringing tears to my eyes.

I inhaled, pulling myself out of bed and catching my alarm. It was one of those alarms that forced you to get up and out of bed to turn it off. My parents figured it'd be a good idea to get me one for my birthday.

I pulled on my school uniform, grabbed my bag, and headed out to the kitchen to grab my lunch and something to eat. "Good morning, Y/n," My mother greeted me. I mumbled a 'morning' back.

How could she be so cheerful after making the decision to take away my favorite thing? "We'll leave in a few minutes, okay? Grab some toast and don't forget to grab your lunch from the fridge." She informed me, which I nodded in response.

I picked up a piece of toast off the plate on the counter. I skimmed the newspaper my father left on the counter, snorting when I read that Karasuno Highschool won another volleyball game.

At least some people's parents were reasonable. I thought to myself, turning the page.

A sudden thought popped into my head. "Mom, is MeiMei gonna be home soon?" I asked. My sister, Mei L/n was off at college right now. It was her first year there. She was the person who got me into volleyball in the first place.

"Oh.. Sweetie.. Mei can't come home," My heart sank. "She said she has a bunch of work right now. She'll be home for Christmas, though!"

I looked down at the newspaper again. My sister wasn't here, my parents took away volleyball, what else would go wrong this year?

I stood up. "I'm walking to school." I told my mother. I slipped on my shoes, grabbing my bag and rushing out the door before my mother could respond.

I ran down the sidewalk, listening to my feet hit the ground was oddly soothing. It was a break from my mother and father's hurtful words. I know I was making a big deal out of a few words but my dream was to play volleyball at the national level. My parents knew this yet they still took it from me.

Soon enough, I reached school. I walked alone all the way to school, not bothering to stop to see if any of my friends were home. The thought of my friends only brought tears to my eyes.

I switched shoes once I got to school, and rushed off to my class. I didn't bother looking for anyone. I took a seat at the same desk I sat at yesterday and pulled out a pencil.

Kenma eventually dragged himself into the classroom. He looked tired but what's new about him. I didn't bother saying hi or scolding him for not getting enough sleep.

I'm sure this worried him, but he didn't show any signs of worry; or any emotion really. Kenma typically kept everything to himself.

My classes went by very slowly. We did a simple assignment in most of them, or a test to check our knowledge in others. It wasn't bad.

As bad as I wanted to say hi to Kenma, I couldn't muster enough courage to say anything.

I remember when I first met my friends. Kenma and Kuroo were practicing volleyball. Kuroo was teaching Kenma how to set to him so Kuroo could hit. My eyes were fixated on the ball at the time, not even realizing when it bounced right past me.

Kuroo apologized repeatedly, while Kenma mumbled a sorry. I didn't care that I almost got hit with the ball.

I asked if I could practice with them and a wide smile grew on Kuroo's face. For about 2 more hours, the three of us practiced together. I learned that Kuroo was in his first year of junior high, and Kenma in his last year of elementary.