.9

The day drug on slowly. Teachers switching in and out of the classroom for the different subjects. P.E. was also boring. Most of the classes were just getting to know the teacher and the course. Tomorrow, most of the teachers planned a test to see where we were academically.

By the time it was lunch, I had already begun debating on calling my mom and going home. I never thought about going home. I never was bored. I always had friends at school to hangout with. The thought of the twins only made my chest ache.

I sighed and decided to stay. I grabbed my lunch and went to find a quiet place to eat. I didn't wanna put myself in the center of attention without eating first.

I heard a familiar voice and turned to see a red headed boy talking to someone else. I was confused as to who Tendou was talking to. He made eye contact with me, grinned widely and spoke to his friend before they both walked towards me and sat down with me.

"Uh.. Hi?" I spoke quietly, slightly intimidated by the unmoving face of the boy Tendou was with.

"Hello," The boy spoke. I noticed his stern expression and olive green hair. He must've noticed me staring because before I could divert my gaze, he had me locked in eye contact.

"L/n, this is Ushijima! Ushijima, this is
L/n," Tendou introduced us. I nodded and smiled at Ushijima.

"Nice to meet you," I spoke. Ushijima didn't seem like the handshaking type, so I didn't offer.

"Nice to meet you too," Ushijima responded, with as much emotion on his face (none).

"Hey, L/n, our manager is looking for a first year trainee. You should totally be the new manager! I know you mentioned your love of volleyball last night— Oh! Ushijima! I met L/n last night on my walk! We played volleyball for a bit before they went home!" Tendou spoke fairly quickly, obviously getting thrown off his trail.

Ushijima nodded, "We'd love for you to join the team as a manager."

A golden retriever and black cat duo, eh? I thought to myself.

Tendou opened his mouth to speak before the bell rang, signifying that lunch was over. I gathered my items and stood up, as did the boys. I bowed to Ushijima, "It was a pleasure to meet you." I smiled.

Ushijima nodded in response. "Please take Tendou's offer on the manager position."

I laughed softly, "I'll think about it and let Tendou know." Before I could finish what was on my mind, Tendou cut me off.

"We should walk L/n to class, Ushijima," He suggested. Ushijima nodded, obviously not having anything better to do.

I sighed, "Don't ask the person in question, yeah? I don't mind but maybe ask next time, Tendou." I walked off towards my class. Tendou and Ushijima were on either side of me within seconds. It was slightly scary to have two taller men on either side of me, being completely silent.

After a few more hours of school, the bell that would release the students into the world of home finally rang. Students poured into the hall and rushed to their lockers, wanting to get home ASAP.  I took my time leaving the school, as I don't like crowds. However, since it was the first day of school, people lingered around much longer than I  had anticipated.

I wanted to leave the school as quick as possible and make my way home. While trying to leave, two students got into an argument. I didn't know who they were or what they were arguing about, but it got pretty heated. One thing lead to another, and hands were being thrown. I sighed and tried to push my way through the crowd cheering on the fight. As much as I looked calm, I very much was not. My heart was racing and my palms were sweaty.

I made it through the front doors of the school and took a deep breath. I then began to walk to a bus stop, not wanting to walk home. I climbed aboard the bus, paid, and took a seat. I felt bad for not talking to Tendo or Ushijima before leaving, but I needed to get out of there.

I was dropped off a few blocks from my house. I began walking down the sidewalk, counting my steps. I passed the park where the twins and I would play volleyball together after school. I passed the spot where the ice cream truck would stop and wait for a while before driving off. The twins and I would never miss an opportunity to get ice cream and talk to the attendant working the truck.

I sighed as memories played through my head. Once I neared my house, I dug into my school bag, pulled out house keys, and took three steps up to the door. I unlocked the door and pushed it open, mumbling an 'I'm home' under my breath. I took my shoes off and shut the door, knowing no one was home. However, if I didn't say that phrase, my body wouldn't allow me to move forward.

I went straight to my room and pulled my journal out. I wrote down a few things that stuck out at school before climbing onto my bed and slipping under the covers. I didn't mind that my uniform was still on, in fact, I didn't realize it. I let my eyes close and my body drift off into sleep. It had been a long day and I had much awaited this nap.

...

I woke up to the sound of my mother knocking on my door. I got out of bed, rubbing my eyes. I pulled the door open, my mother greeting me. I smiled. My brain didn't process what she was telling me but I nodded. Last thing I heard her say was, "I'll let you get back to sleep." Which she did.