Chapter V

P A R T   O N E

 Empress Nightingale

        The sound of trotting stallions filter through the quiet air, their rhythmic steps had lulled Selina to sleep. Through the carriage window, (Y/N) could see the heart of Maodria: a glorious building arising from the ground like an unearthed crystal. The imperial palace was entirely fashioned with polished marble stone, its white and blue slates glistening in the moonlight. Beautiful purple petalled trees enhanced the wondrous palace, surrounded the enormous structure like great armies defending their citadel. 

        Even though she was far from the palace, (Y/N) could feel the scrutiny of piercing red darts as they drilled into her form. Waiting in the palace courtyard, (Y/N) found Erebus waiting for her with crossed arms. His auburn hair glinted under the moon, his tresses whipping softly like a flickering flame. Erebus was handsome, yet his comely appearance was constantly marred by scoff etched on his pale face. 

        As the carriage came to a stop before the man, his scowl deepened. The heels of (Y/N)'s boots clicked as she carefully climbed down the carriage steps.

        "You're late," Erebus sneers.

        "I didn't realize I had to be on time for anything," (Y/N) retorts.

        "You are working under his royal majesty," Erebus chastises her, "I expect exceptional work attributes and work dedication. Always be at least thirty minutes early, work until you have completed all your assignments, and most importantly--" He takes a moment to glare at her, "--never talk back to your superiors. Are we clear?"

        (Y/N) purses her lips, "Yes, sir."

        A small gurgle sounds from (Y/N)'s shawl. Glancing at the red fabric dangling across her body, Erebus raises a brow as his attention falls upon a tiny baby.

        "Another mouth to feed," Erebus mutters under his breath.

        Selina's large green orbs fall upon the stoic male, despite his unnerving appearance she gives him a toothless smile. 

        "Would you like to hold her?" (Y/N) offers the man.

        Erebus's brows furrow, "Excuse me?"

        "Selina adores meeting new people," (Y/N) explains, motioning towards her infant daughter as the little girl stretched her arms towards Erebus as if trying to grab him.

        The red-haired man was silent for a mere moment. "...I suppose," he accepts.

        Gingerly, (Y/N) takes her daughter out of her pouch and carefully hands her over to Erebus. "Mind her head," she cautions.

        Erebus rolls his orbs, "I know how to hold a child." Erebus held the infant in his arms, resting the little baby's head on the crook of his arm with such tenderness. "You're just as tiny as Magnus was," Erebus mumbles to himself.

        "Magnus?" (Y/N) asks, overhearing Erebus talking aloud.

        Pulled away from his thoughts, Erebus swiftly hands back Selina. "I shall lead you to your chambers," Erebus whips around, climbing the grand staircase that leads to the castle's entrance.

        He ignored (Y/N)'s further questioning, "Is Magnus a child of your own?"

        The palace doors are opened by a pair of emotionless soldiers. Erebus briskly treks inside, not bothering once to check if (Y/N) were following him as he weaved expertly through the palace halls. The corridors were a luxurious maze, with hallways that were ornate with various paintings and statues upon polished tiled floors and brilliant pearl-colored walls.