Chapter XXII

P A R T O N E

Empress Nightingale

Within the emperor's parlor, the imperial family and their staff gathered together. Ambrose sat behind his desk with a tore envelope and letter in hand. Erebus, Beowulf, and Gallia watched as Ambrose's blue orbs skimmed over the cursive text.

News had spread like wildfire in less than two days. At first, they were just rumors until confirmation finally reached the public. Both commoners and nobility were notified at the same time.

The Archbishop was dead.

Silence took a hold of everyone in the room.

"How is that possible?" Gallia furrowed her brows, "The old fool was still perfectly kicking around two days ago!"

"Your sister has a point," Erebus turned to Ambrose, "It is strange that the Archbishop is suddenly dead."

"Have they done an investigation?" Beowulf asks.

"The letter reports of a hole pricked on the back of the Archbishop's hand," Ambrose answers.

"A hole?" Erebus repeats. The emperor nods. "Isn't it strange that Kaiya touched the Archbishop's hand?" Erebus wondered aloud.

"The woman was simply over dramatic," Gallia scoffs, "She isn't cunning enough to possibly kill the Archbishop."

"You mean she isn't cunning enough to get away with murder," Beowulf corrects her.

"You two think she killed her?" Gallia incredulously asks the two men.

"No bee sting is able to make a hole with a diameter of two centimeters," Erebus points out, "Remember the former imperial doctor? The old coot was nicked in the side of the face with a hole of the same size."

"But how could something like that be possible?" Beowulf asks, "How could Kaiya possibly kill two men?

Recalling Kaiya's arrest, Gallia tried to remember each of the duchess's movements. How the young woman grabbed the hands of the Archbishop and shredded fake tears. Remembering her tight grasp, Gallia noticed the diamond on Kaiya's wedding ring to be missing.

Gallia gasps, "It's her fucking ring!"

"What?" Ambrose asks, slightly astonished by hearing his sister curse for the first time.

"Kaiya loves showing off her ring! Duke Lotteshu practically gave her the biggest diamond ring in all of the empire!" Gallia explains, "But the day she grabbed the Archbishop the diamond was mysteriously gone from her ring!"

"She hid the poison beneath the diamond," Beowulf concludes.

"It's possible that whatever concoction she used, it wouldn't leave any physical signs of illness," Erebus adds, "But strong enough to kill a person over time."

"If she still has her ring, we can have medics test the Archbishop for poison," Ambrose proposed, "She'll be arrested, maybe even hanged for the Archbishop's death." Turning to Beowulf, Ambrose orders, "General, you and your men of choosing will go to the Lotteshu estate and retrieve Kaiya's ring. Erebus will file a warrant and if anyone tries to stop you -- don't hesitate."

Beowulf nods, "Yes, your--"

The castle suddenly shakes and a loud boom rolls through the air.