Chapter VI || Part Two

I'm Tired by Labrinth and Zendaya

Part Two

The Rise of Empress Nightingale

(Y/N)'s ring finger was bejeweled with a large emerald-shaped diamond surrounded by several rubies upon the band, to match the Melchior family colors.

Beside her, Ambrose donned his own ring. The pristine wedding band was a beautiful shade of glinting silver with several small diamonds encircling it.

Her old engagement ring was a simple twisted gold band with precious jewels engraved upon it. It was minimalistic, but (Y/N) wanted it that way. The young woman adored it up until the day that Atticus died. A year ago, it was hard for her to finally take off her ring since it was once a symbol of pure love that spanned several years.

Now she had to replace it. The ring she wore now was a symbol of how Ambrose had bound her to him.

Upon the stone-made patio, (Y/N) couldn't help but marvel at the beautiful sight of the garden. It no longer smell of the blood of fallen soldiers or firey destruction. Instead, the backyard was lovingly paved with flowers that were planted in large, long hedges along with marble statues that appeared recently made. And finally, a marble fountain stood in the center, the soft gurgling of the clear water melodic as it resonated.

The nobles were dressed in their summer finery. Some guests either played croquet on the great lawn, conversed with one another to their hearts' content, or danced upon the miniature tiled stage. Couples danced, their movement like water transformed by elegant music. They flowed in graceful arcs, limbs in constant motion.

Several aristocrats had approached the Melchior family with fixed unnatural smiles. Moutains of several beautifully wrapped gifts were placed on a large table beside their thrones. They were all hand delivered by each noble family to (Y/N) and Ambrose.

Both the emperor and future empress sat upon large thrones with Dimitri and Gallia sitting upon smaller ones. The Melchior sister sat with a bored expression on her face, slightly drifting in and out of sleep. Dimitri was practically ecstatic, beaming brightly with childlike joy. His father finally managed to make Miss (Y/N) into his mother, he had finally fallen in love with her! A part of him even dared to feel a bit proud, perhaps his plan was a success! Even if he didn't do much...

(Y/N) had trusted Valetina once more to care for Selina. The young mother didn't want to present her daughter to the nobles. If anything she wanted them away from her. But it only left (Y/N) feeling evermore lonely.

Both Erebus and Beowulf were not at her side. Erebus was busy entertaining the guests while trying to maintain order and navigate the palace servants. And Beowulf didn't want to come. It was understandable, he wouldn't want to attend a party dedicated to the love of his life being married off once more to another man.

Yet the thought alone left (Y/N) all the more guilty. Cheating on a relationship is a distraction, a self-delusional addiction to a cheap thrill. It's pathetic, and the young woman knew it well. But that didn't seem to stop her. In a way, (Y/N) had used Beowulf just as he used her. They were two lonely people trying to find solace in each other. (Y/N) was in a forced marriage and Beowulf was hopelessly in love with her. Now their affair had only made more complications.