Chapter XXI

P A R T O N E

Empress Nightingale

Dawn brings down the sunlight once more, replacing the sky with a starry black heaven. A young woman sat on her bed, her back kept slightly elevated by her plush pillows. Throughout the following week, she was left to sleep alone on her bed. Beowulf had taken the task of caring for Selina while she was bedridden. Thankfully, (Y/N) was able to see Selina, even if it was only once per day it still made her happy.

A knock resonates from the other side of the clinic's door.

"Come in," (Y/N) calls out.

Slipping inside, Ambrose held his breath. (Y/N) appeared tiny in the multiple bundles of blankets. She was nearly exposed to hypothermia after sinking into the cold water. The young woman reminded the emperor of a china doll. Her body was fragile and a bandage was carefully patched upon the corner of her forehead. Despite her fatal injury, a smile extended to her (e/c) eyes as they landed upon her new visitor.

"Hello, your majesty," (Y/N) greeted him.
"I..." Ambrose frowns. He wasn't sure what to say.

(Y/N) decides to interrupt the awkward silence. She jokes, "If I could, I wish I could throw her into the pond myself."

Ambrose banters back, "I'll have it arranged."

Walking closer to the young woman, Ambrose asks, "How are you feeling?"

"Same as usual," the girl answers. When she noticed his questioning gaze, she chuckles, "Cold. It's clear the imperial doctor likes to freeze his patients."

A slight curl formed upon Ambrose's lips, yet it falters. "I..." he began, leading to another hesitant pause. What was he supposed to say to make it all better? It was the first time he ever had said "sorry" and truly meant it. But to him, it still didn't feel like it was enough for the poor young mother. He still says it anyways, "I'm sorry..."

(Y/N) immediately knew what he meant. He was sorry for Kaiya, sorry that she bombarded her way into her life and nearly killed her.

"It's not your fault, it was hers," (Y/N) assures him.

Ambrose shakes his head, "I brought you into my mess. I promised you that you and your daughter would be safe under my employment, but it seems I was wrong. I don't fault you if you want to leave..."

"I promised Dimitri, I would stay with him no matter what," (Y/N) assures him, "I'm choosing to stay out of my own volition."

"Sometimes, I wish I never met Kaiya," Ambrose admits, "But without her, I wouldn't have Dimitri. He was the only good thing that came out of this mess and I..." (Y/N) stares at him sympathetically, noticing his blue eyes burning.

"You're scared to lose him?" (Y/N) finishes.

He nods.

"I'm scared that one day he'll realize that maybe I'm not good enough for him," Ambrose adds, "I'm scared Kaiya will take him away. I'm scared that I'll be more alone than I ever was if he's gone..."

Taking his hand, (Y/N) leads the emperor to a chair at her bedside. Allowing her to do so, Ambrose sits beside her.

"Despite who you are and what you do," (Y/N) gives Ambrose an assuring squeeze of his hand, "You are a good father. You've given Dimitri a chance to become a kind and gentle boy; you've protected him for many years against the world, against others, including himself. A father should not just have to tell his son that he loves him. He should show it as well."