Chapter III | Part Two

Part Two

The Rise of Empress Nightingale

(Y/N) had left Selina to the care of Valentina for the day. She was the only living family that Atticus had right after his father died. (Y/N) trusted her, she was a caring grandmother and even more of a supportive mother-in-law. Valentina still supported (Y/N) after discovering her engagement to the emperor and even after discovering that (Y/N) had never agreed to it.

(Y/N) would never forget Valentina's words when she departed, "I know that, despite everything, history will have its eyes on you... And it will remember how extraordinary you really are, my dear."

The carriage halts before the palace steps and one of (Y/N)'s guards opens the door to let her out while the other helped her down the small steps.

"Thank you," (Y/N) spoke, but the men were stoic, quiet, and quick to avoid her gaze.

With a sigh, (Y/N) made her way up the palace steps and slipped inside as the massive double doors opened. Everywhere (Y/N) walked, she was met by hushed whispers, prolonged stares, and quick bows from her former co-workers. They had originally paid her no mind when she became Dimitri's nanny, but now it seemed like she was the topic of every conversation. A servant of the imperial palace becoming the new empress? It was practically scandalous, even so in the royal court.

There was no solace that (Y/N) could find. She couldn't go outside without being watched by guards; whether it was to protect her or prevent her from running away, (Y/N) did really know why. All (Y/N) had done for the past week was stayed in her room, only coming out on the day of her wedding anniversary to Atticus. Though Erebus swore to help the future empress, (Y/N) knew that he was the only ally she had in the royal court outside of the Melchior family.

Yet she knew Erebus wouldn't be enough, he didn't truly know her. Thus she desperately needed Beowulf, she needed her best friend.

Standing before Beowulf's chambers, (Y/N) is met with disappointment once more.

The maid bows before (Y/N), "I'm sorry my lady, but General Mareborne is not here..."

"Again?" (Y/N)'s brows furrow, "Are you sure he's alright?"

"He's feeling a bit under the weather, madam," the middle-aged woman spoke, "But I assure you that --"

"Daddy, please, just talk to her!" (Y/N) overheard Chiara's voice, "I want to play with you two!"

"Chiara, not today, daddy is sick..." Beowulf sighs. The young man was laying in bed miserably.

"But you're not coughing! And you don't have a fever either!" Chiara pointed out.

"Chiara--"

"You don't like Miss (Y/N) anymore?" Chiara asks, "Do you hate her now?"

"What?" Beowulf recoils, "No!"

"You're avoiding her, but I don't know why!" Chiara stomped her tiny foot.

"Chiara," Beowulf sighs once more, "It's... Complicated... You're just a child, you don't understand."

Chiara's face began to turn red and she glares at her father. She turns to the door and sees (Y/N) right next to the maid. "Miss (Y/N!)" Chiara called out to her, "My daddy wants to see you now!"

"Chiara!" Beowulf hisses.

(Y/N) turns back to the maid, who stared back at her with wide, scared eyes and a pale face. "I-I'm sorry, your majesty, I-I only did what Lord Mareborne requested I do!"