Ch. 5: Keeping Tabs

Sua's eyes fluttered open as they adjusted to the light leaking through the barred windows. It was still fairly early in the day it seemed. She went to go check on Gahyeon, who this time was sleeping peacefully again. She wondered how she was going to go about this. She didn't want to say the wrong thing. She wanted to help in the best way she could, but she's never experienced nor has ever had dealt with it herself. Sadly, her advice would be limited. She'd just hoped that it would be enough.

About an hour or so later, she heard Gahyeon starting to stir awake. Once she saw the slightest movement from the younger to indicate that she's awake enough to talk, she proceeded to ask her about the night before. "Are you ok?"

There was a small bit of silence before Gahyeon spoke up. "Now I am. I'm sorry you had to see that."

"Don't be. You couldn't help it. It seemed like a terrible nightmare. It's nothing you need to apologize for."

"But this isn't the first time I had it."

"How long?"

"Since our accident. I didn't have any of those vivid nightmares before then."

"You were yelling that she was still in there. Was it about Siyeon and the car?"

Gahyeon jumped down from her bunk and Sua scooted over to give her some space to sit next to her. She put her head on Sua's shoulder before answering. "No. It's not that...It was actually my mentor."

"The one who passed down the garage to you?"

Gahyeon nodded. "It was like I was seeing it all over again and more."

"More? Do you mind me asking what happened in that nightmare?"

"I can't. I wish I could, but it's just too much right now. It's been so long ago, yet so fresh in my mind. Maybe...eventually, I can. But for now, I don't want to keep thinking about it."

Sua gave her a tight hug. When Gahyeon felt more comforted by it, she hugged back. "Ok. Just remember I'm here for you if you ever change your mind or if it happens again. You don't have to face these fears alone."

"Thank you. But..." Silence filled the cell once again before Gahyeon's request broke it. "Please don't tell anyone what happened. Especially Handong. I want to be the one who tells her what's been happening."

"Sure thing. It doesn't have to be right away, you know. I just don't want this to be bottled up before something worse happens. I care about you all. I'd fear the worst if something bad ever happens to you. Take care of yourself. Your mental health is just as important as your physical one." Sua gave her one last squeeze before she backed away from the hug and looked around the cell. She tried to look for something that could shift the subject away from the nightmare. Anything to get Gahyeon's mind off it. "Spot anything so far around here? Thought it would be nice to have some intel before our meeting today."

"Nothing too noteworthy yet. I plan on making friends with some of the other prisoners who've been here for a longer time. They'll definitely know more about the place."

"Not a bad idea! Just be careful."

"Don't worry. I've been around this crowd before. I know when I should back away. Do you have any ideas?"

"That's all that's been floating in my head. I just want to come up with a good enough plan to show Panda." Without planning it with her, Sua was feeling more weight on her shoulders. She didn't want to let her team down if her ideas weren't good enough. Her head's just been filled with mental notes of as many people and places as she could. All she had to do was somehow make those separate thoughts into a coherent idea. It was turning out to be much harder than she had initially thought.