Ch.19: Recalculating

"Oh shit, I'm late!" Dami had just finished a possible route through the prison when she realized that the meeting already started ten minutes ago. It really didn't help that she hadn't left the apartment, either. She hadn't even left her room. Dami cursed to herself for being as absorbed as she was hurriedly trying to grab all the papers that were somewhat in disarray and then looked over everything to make sure none of it was missing before she had to go.

Since she was in such a hurry, she wasn't as careful as she usually was around her wires and tripped. Luckily she didn't faceplant, but it sounded like a painful fall. Painful enough to get the attention of someone else in the apartment. Strange. Dami wasn't expecting anyone. Why would she suddenly be hearing footsteps coming her way? She looked up in alerted confusion that soon turned into a pleasant surprise.

"Oh my god! Babe, are you okay?" The owner of the voice ran over to help her up from her fall."

"Miyeon? I'm fine, but what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you. What happened?"

"I tripped."

"But you never trip. Don't you know your room like the back of your hand?"

"Yeah, but this time I was in a hurry."

"Oh, I didn't know you had plans. I'm sorry. I thought you'd want to take a break from your work and take a walk in the park nearby. We haven't really spent time together in a while. I thought this was a nice change."

Hearing that hurt Dami's heart. She wished she could indulge in what she's passionate about with her, but she didn't want her anywhere near this. If something went wrong, what would she do? She didn't want to be at fault for possibily ruining Miyeon's life. She wanted to spend more time with her, but this was so important. Yes, she loved her, but she had to do this. Her friends, her own brother, needed to get out. Even then, what if Taehyung finds out Dami's alive? She didn't want Miyeon to get caught in the crossfire. She didn't deserve it. If that meant that they wouldn't see each other for a while than it had to be.

"It would, but this is really important. I hope you understand." Dami felt so guilty. She missed her during their time apart. It wasn't fair for Miyeon to feel like this when she's in the dark about everything. She didn't deserve that either. Dami wanted to make it up to her, but how? She was getting conflicted.

In the end, despite her worries, she quickly came up with a compromise. "Maybe later we can have a movie night. You pick out the movie. Just right now, I need to get going. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I know you're a busy person. Cyber security is important. I just want to be with you again."

"And we will. See you tonight."

"Yeah, see you tonight...Wait!" Dami was at the end of her apartment's doorframe before she stopped and turned around. "You dropped this." In Miyeon's hand was a part of the scematics for one of the prison's layouts. Dami prayed that Miyeon didn't catch what was written on it.

"Oh, thanks. You saved me a lot of trouble. I need to stop writing code down like this. Thank you." After a goodbye kiss, Dami rushed over to Yoohyeon and Jiu's apartment.

***

"This isn't like Dami to be late. It's already been twenty minutes." Jiu said, worriedly.

"Do you think she forgot? She's got a lot on her plate. I wouldn't blame her."

"Still, I think I should call her to see if everything's ok." Jiu took out her phone and pushed the contact labeled "Pandami." There were a few small moments of silence as Jiu and Yoohyeon waited for Dami to answer. What they got instead was the sound of a ringtone coming from the door.