Ch. 18: New Perspective

It was laundry duty this time for Siyeon. Just like they had planned, she searched for anything like the officer's uniforms to see if they would be useful towards the disguises. Since this was a more simple task, it gave her time to think. She hadn't had a mental breather for a while, which meant that there were things she started to realize. Most recently, she noticed how surprisingly peaceful it was the past few days between her and Soyeon. She didn't know why. It's not like much had changed. Was it because Siyeon changed her tune after the meeting? She didn't feel so. Maybe there was a little change of heart that she could admit, but for most of the time she felt the same.

She watched as Soyeon pushed the laundry cart toward the other empty ones and as she's about to go grab a new full one, a piece of paper falls out. It wasn't just any piece of paper. Even from afar, Siyeon can notice a splash of color. At the very least, it was a picture of some kind.

Just in case it was something important, Siyeon walked over and picked it up. She tried to not look at its contents, but as it was folded outwards, she was able to notice that it was a photo of Soyeon with an expression that Siyeon had never seen her make, a smile. She was surrounded by a group of girls just as happy. They all seemed close based on how the group was hugging each other as they looked into the camera. Siyeon couldn't help but smile at it herself before she remembered that she had to give it to the grumpiest person she knew.

Noticing how she didn't have the photo anymore, Soyeon quickly took it back without a word. Siyeon hesitated before responding to her actions. "You seem so happy with them. Are they out there waiting for you?"

"Why did you look at it? It's none of your business in the first place. So, stop being nosy and leave me alone before you regret it."

"Look, I was just trying to be nice."

"You don't need to be. The nicest thing you can do is get out of my life. If you can't do that, then stay out of it as much as you can. Things were better before you were involved. Either of you."

"Either? You mean Sua too? Look, I don't know why you're still so angry with us. We were just trying to defend ourselves. I would stay out of your hair if I could."

"No, not-" Before Soyeon could finish her thought, a voice interrupts her. A familiar one not far behind Siyeon. Siyeon was hoping she would never have to hear that annoying voice ever again, but she wasn't going to get what she wanted. Just like how these same girls from days ago will never get, no matter who they pest or how many times they do it. Siyeon hoped they would've given up by now, but she thought that the only good trait that these girls had was their determination. The negatives outweighed the positives, though, and at this point, Siyeon was holding back on knocking some more sense into them.

"Them...again?!" Siyeon thought as she was starting to get a headache.

Soyeon's former "crew" wanted to come back and taunt her. "What's this?" One of them took the photo from Soyeon's hands. "Oh, how cute. Too bad they want nothing to do with you now. I'm surprised they wanted to stick with an annoying bitch like you. Now that they know you're in prison, they probably want to stay far away. It's for the better. They won't be held back by you just like you did with us." This act of inflating their ego went too far in Siyeon's eyes. Looking at Soyeon, she could tell that she felt the same. This was pissing the smaller woman off beyond belief.

In response, Siyeon turned around before Soyeon could explode or do something she would regret. It seemed like they didn't notice Siyeon was standing right by them as they were surprised when they were suddenly face to face. Siyeon looked back at Soyeon before saying, "Are they bothering you, boss?"

"Boss?!" The dim duo said in unison, even more surprised as one of them puts the photo in her back pocket.

"Yes. She's my boss now. I should've never crossed her that day. I don't want to relive what happened afterwards ever again. She spared me and my group by having us follow her demands."