Chapter 8. A Not So Happy Birthday

"Can we get ice-cream?" ~ A.T

Today was a particularly hard day for Ahsoka.

It was her brothers birthday, the first birthday he wasn't alive to celebrate. She had spent the entire morning crying while getting ready for her class, wishing more than anything that he would be here to celebrate his 22nd birthday.

As she stared at herself in the mirror while pulling her platinum blonde hair into a bun, she noticed how rough she truly looked. Her eyes were puffy and bloodshot and her cheeks were stained from the tears. She sighed while looking at herself in the mirror before pulling her brothers dog tags from out of her navy pants.

Ahsoka took one long stare at them before placing them around her neck. "Happy birthday, Spencer." She whispered to herself while still staring at the dog tags, a small smile gracing her features as she remembered how excited he was when he first got those dog tags.

She was quickly brought back to the present by the sound of someone knocking at her door. Quickly, she wiped the tears from her face and tucked her dog tags into her shirt before exiting the bathroom. When she opened the door, she was met by her mother and Plo Koon.

Her mother also looked like she had been crying for a better half of the morning and Plo didn't look to hot himself. "Hey, honey." Her mom said, reaching a hand out to place on Ahsoka's cheek.

She felt a single hot tear fall from her face that her mom quickly wiped away. "I know honey, I know." Ahsoka felt the comforting warmth from her mothers hug as she rubbed her back. Ahsoka began to sob into her mothers neck, causing her cries to become muffled.

Once the two pulled away, Plo took a step between the mother daughter duo and pulled Ahsoka into a tight hug. "May we come in, Little Soka?" The Admiral asked lightly while still holding the young pilot. She only nodded into his chest before pulling away and motioning for the two to come inside.

They were all quiet for a moment as Ahsoka sat on her bed, curling herself up into a ball.

"I talked to Admiral Windu." Ahsoka looked over to Plo who broke the silence as he sat the edge of her bed. "He said you don't have to come to class today." Plo reached over to grab Ahsoka's hand, rubbing gentle circles on her knuckles.

Ahsoka sighed, looking out the window in her room. "Thanks, Plo. But I can't do that to Rex. He needs me there." Her voice cracked was so raspy and broken from all the crying she had done this morning.

"And Spencer wouldn't want me to mope around the whole day." She wiped the tears away, sniffling slightly.

"Ahsoka, it's okay to be sad." Her mother spoke as she sat next to Plo. "No, he wouldn't want you to mope around, but he wouldn't want you to pretend to be okay when you're clearly not." She stuck her hand out, motioning to her daughter who definitely was not doing okay.

"Rex was his best friend, he'll understand." Her hand was placed on Ahsoka's shin, squeezing it lightly. Ahsoka flashed the two a sad smile, showing them that she was grateful for their help.

"Can uh... can we get ice-cream?" Ahsoka stuck her bottom lip out as she flashed her sad blue eyes to her mother, who could only laugh at her daughter. "Of course we can." She stood up, offering a hand to her daughter to help her out of bed.

The three of them all headed out the door, Plo and Mandy had both wrapped their arms around Ahsoka's shoulders, as she wrapped both her arms around their waists. She was so thankful to have such a great support system.

-

Rex wasn't really paying attention in class today. He found himself zoning out while staring at the world outside of the classroom. On more than one occasion, Admiral Windu had to bring him back to the present moment.Once class was over, he pulled out his phone and noticed that he had a few texts from his pilot.

Mom and Plo took me out for ice-cream, wanna join?

The text had been sent over an hour ago, so Rex decided to just not respond. It seemed like so much effort to him at the moment. Instead, he walked down the hall of the academy with his hands in his pockets, not saying a word to anyone.

"Yo, Rex!" Skywalker called from behind him. Rex quickly whipped around and noticed that the pair both shared a worried look to them. "Where's Tano? And What's going on with you?" Rex just sighed, shifting his gaze between Skywalker and Kenobi, not really knowing what to say.

He just shrugged before turning around and starting to walk away, but before he could get too far, he felt a hand wrap around his forearm. When he turned to see who it was, he was met with Kenobi's pleading eyes. "Rex, we're worried about you. Please just talk to us." Kenobi let Rex's arm go and watched has his face went from anger to sorrow.

"It's her brothers birthday today." Rex spoke for the first time today. He clenched his jaw as he fought back the tears that were beginning to prick his eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Kenobi's voice was gentle and soothing, and that was enough to make the tears fall from Rex's eyes.

He quickly wiped them from his face, not wanting to seem weak. But before Rex could say anything else, he was wrapped into a tight hug by both Kenobi and Skywalker. After the initial shock wore off, Rex eventually wrapped his arms around the duo and held them tight.

"You know, you don't have to deal with this alone." Skywalker's tone was sincere, and when Rex pulled away from the hug, he could see it in is face too.

"Thanks." Rex whispered, shoving his hands back in his pockets. He was kicking imaginary dirt as he stared at the ground, not knowing what else to say. He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and when he looked at it, it was another text from Ahsoka.

Plo and Mom left. But I'm still here so the offer still stands :/

"Hey, do you guys wanna get ice-cream?" Rex asked, while still staring at his phone.

Kenobi and Skywalker shared a look before they both turned to face him again. "Why not?" Skywalker shrugged, answering for the both of them. Rex smiled before typing away at his phone, answering Ahsoka's message.

On our way

-

Ahsoka stared at the message for a moment, confused. On our way, who's we? She thought to herself. Ahsoka was on her third milkshake, trying her hardest to drown out her sorrows in desserts. It was a lot better than alcohol.

She was starting to lose her appetite, seeing as she hadn't really had anything nutritious today. So, instead of drinking her milkshake, she just stared at it as she stirred it with her straw, resting her chin on her hand, blowing a piece of flyaway hair out of her face as she continued to stare at the milkshake.

When Ahsoka heard the chime of the door opening, she immediately turned her attention towards it. And when she saw who was there, she couldn't help the smile that spread across her face.

The first smile she'd had on all day.

A/N

I know this was a bit of a sad boy hour chapter but I promise the next one will be happy. This story is coming closer and closer to an end and I can't believe it. I'm also leaving for Fan Expo in 3 days which means I'LL BE MEETING HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN AND ASHLEY ECKSTEIN SOON!!!!

Let me know if you have any likes or dislikes and I'll try to add it into my next chapter. And if not, I'll update again in two weeks!

~ Jo