Chapter Two

[Target confirmed. Accessing plasma laser in 3... 2... 1... Initiating target retrieval.]

Covered in the shadows of the curved roof, the click of a safety lock ticked softly as it was released. The stun gun was aimed directly at the entrance of a small inn, only two lanterns providing light for the doors. Though lanterns were strung throughout Hiromichi village, the night was still heavy, and shadows encased the homes. A perfect time to sneak away, and a perfect time to be caught.

Slowly, carefully, Combot raised his gun an inch higher. His black gloves were catching on his metal fingers, but that would not stop him. Any rust that formed during the job could be taken care of with the money he would receive. The contemplation of a smile had just entered his behavior controls when a red dot appeared in the corner of his eyesight. Without so much as breathing, he opened the notification. Red light filtered over the world, and two blurry yellow figures appeared right behind the door. The front person had one hand on the doorknob, but was hesitating.

There we go. Combot told his internal record. One turn and the target will be in sight. He gripped the gun a little tighter, turning on the laser in his hood for safe measure. The girl was wanted alive, but could be taken in not breathing if necessary. The second person, the boy. They wanted him back dead. A cool sense of pleasure warmed Combot's wires as he sent the x-ray filter away. One person was so much easier to transport than two.

Turning his audio interface all the way up, he heard the click of the door as it opened. He waited, if the nindroid could sweat he would be. Dubiously, someone tipped their head through the doorway. Though they wore a back hoodie, the bright red curls of hair they possessed were spilling out of the hood, a laughably clear marker as to who they were. The girl turned her head back and forth, testing out the area. One more step, that was all she needed to take. Combot's finger twitched on the trigger as he waited, gears whirring as they spun within him. She took the step out of the door.

At the same time a great thud came from behind the nindroid, causing Combot to spin around, already pulling the trigger. A blast of red light shot out of the gun, illuminating the person as they ran. Combot's censors screamed a hard protest as his facial recognition scanners caught a glimpse of the person. It was the boy!

The nidroid had point two seconds to accept this fact before a fist appeared before his face. Another second occurred before the hand made impact, which was just enough time for Combot to dodge to the left. He rolled away from the boy, pulling up his gun and blasting twice with his hood. The light again whizzed by him, displaying his purple hair, and glowing yellow eyes.

"Ha!" Warning bells rang in Combot's head as a foot made contact with his head. He flew backwards, sliding head first down the roof.

[Warning. Injury to the rear surface of the main processing unit is imminent.]

Obviously! Combot screamed at the female warning system. Even a well built robot could be crushed after falling, and he was no exception. Thinking fast, or rather processing quickly, Combot sent the directions to ignite the jets on his feet. A puff of compressed air burst at his heels, and flames sent powerful forces out the bottom of his shoes. Now instead of falling he was being forced up in the air, guiding himself into an upright position. With the quickness that only a robot could have, Combot whipped up his rifle and shot at the boy again.

The second target dashed up the rest of the roof, leaping inhumanly up from the tip, arms flung out. For a crazy second the robot thought he was trying to grab his foot, but no, the boy wasn't that insane. Instead two sharp throwing stars zinged towards the bot, one sinking into his arm and the other into his left sole. Sparks flew out of his boot, and suddenly the world went spinning as he flew crazily down to the ground.