Chapter Six

Tempest looked down at her bowl of chicken soup, wishing she could eat, but being positively unable to. Not because there were no utensils, or because she hadn't been given permission, but because of the tension. It was beyond silent at the Turner table. Prodigy seemed determined not to eat anything, and his father seemed to be unwilling to speak. Instead he just ate a spoon of soup in a consistent, slow manner. Prodigy's brother was unfortunately not there for a long while. Through that time Tempest was able to remember her days as a cleaning lady. Usually the home owners weren't in the home when she cleaned, but when they were she had to be completely silent.

Eventually she grew so uncomfortable that she gave up her hesitance to eat, and began inhaling the soup as quietly as possible. Despite herself she had to admit that the soup was really, really good. It warmed her from the inside and made all her taste buds happy. Prodigy also began eating after her, but it was done with much chagrin. The pressure started to decrease slightly... until Griffin appeared.

He was still in the same white robes and sunglasses, and he made Tempest's hair whip back and forth with the wind his running created. One moment his seat across from her was empty, the next he was there, eating his soup at a regular speed.

Prodigy had a hand resting on the table, but Tempest saw his fingers clenched and his body tense at Griffin's entrance. A stab of pity poked into her gut, and on the spur of the moment she reached up and clasped Prodigy's hand. He flinched just barely enough for her to notice, and glanced at her. Tempest flicked her eyes over to Griffin, silently willing Prodigy to speak. Hopefully he wasn't too disturbed with her, but she wasn't sure how else to try and make him feel better.

Without giving her a sign that her support was helpful, Prodigy turned his head to his brother, and spoke roughly. "Griffin, I need to know where Neuro is."

Tempest cringed inside. For a guy unable to speak concisely, he sure picked the worst times to speak plainly.

Griffin set his spoon down in the bowl with a clink. "Why do you need that?" He looked up, and though she couldn't actually see his eyes, Tempest felt him looking at her. She looked away from him, back down to her soup. Maybe she trembled some, because to her surprise Prodigy twisted his hand to hold hers, and he squeezed her fingers lightly. Tempest glanced up at him, but he was looking determinedly at his brother.

"I have to talk to him. We have business to deal with." Prodigy leaned forward. "I've never asked you to do anything before, so do this for me."

"You bring nothing but anger to this place." Prodigy's father said bitterly.

Prodigy's face darkened. "I've only made this single request, which is hardly anything too difficult for him to accomplish. I've been absent for over ten years, and yet you act like I've complained to you through all that time. That's both impossible and ridiculous."

"It's neither!" His father slammed the table, which really did make Tempest flinch. "You disgraced this family by running away like a coward, just because you weren't capable of helping anyone. Showing up out of the blue to ask for information is insulting! You should be begging for forgiveness instead!"

Tempest looked up at the man in shock and anger. Prodigy's father was being outrageous! She looked at his brother, but Griffin had a reserved look on his face. If he wasn't going to say anything, then she would!

"You should be happy he even came back!" She snapped, earning a surprised look from all the Turners. "I can't imagine what you were like all those years ago if this is how you treat him now! What makes you think anyone would come back unless under serious circumstances, when you talk to them like they're trash? I wouldn't!" Her blood boiled hot in anger.