Chapter Four

Tempest hugged her knees and rocked back and forth. Prodigy had been inside the house for ten long minutes. It was starting to get boring waiting for him, though she dared not get closer and peek in. She just wished he would tell her what he was doing, instead of keeping everything hidden from her. The guy was a chest wrapped in chains, locked in a vault, and set in a fortress. He knew so much about her, but she knew almost nothing about him.

Once he had told her that his name was too personal for to know, but here the butler recognized him: Master Turner, he had called him. Tempest bit down on her lips, trying to stem the potent curiosity from rising. While she believed he would keep her safe, she didn't trust him entirely. Curiosity for his past would only heighten that feeling. It could alleviate it too, if you got answers. Her mind told her.

The front door suddenly swung open, startling her into a jump, which threw her off balance. Tumbling out from behind the pot, Tempest looked up at the entrance. It was not Prodigy. The butler, Edgar, looked at her in excited amazement.

"Uh, I was just going." She said quickly, hopping to her feet. Her palms were sore from the fall, but she ignored them while she hurried away from him.

"Wait, miss!" he shouted.

Tempest turned to him as he came closer, leaving the door open. Edgar put one hand on her shoulder. "There is no need to leave!" He smiled so kindly Tempest couldn't say a word. "You came with Master Turner, correct?"

She floundered. "Well, yes, but..."

Edgar nodded his head emphatically. "It's been so long, and to think he'd bring a girl with him! I can't believe he left you alone outside."

Tempest flushed and held up her hands. "Uh no-no, I think you're mistaken."

Her words were useless; He wasn't listening. Instead he started pushing her towards the open front door! "I can see you've had a hard time of it, so maybe he didn't want to introduce you when you weren't completely put together. But that is no excuse for leaving you in the cold! I will simply have Tera fetch you new clothes."

As he spoke he herded Tempest closer and closer to the door, ignoring her protests. When he mentioned her state of appearance she looked down. Sure her clothes had some dirt on them, and, ok there was a rip in her jeans, but she didn't look that bad. Did she? She shook her head and returned to protesting, but it was already too late. They had entered the house.

Inside was a large entrance with two winding staircases prominently displayed in the front entrance. On the left and right there were enormous hallways, and doors on either side of the stairs. The floor was a pearl and smoke marble, and the handles on the stairs were black iron. A chandelier hung from the ceiling with LEDs and crystals draping in sparkling strands. Several maids walked by in their black and white outfits, and male servants hurried around in their suits. It was all bright, fancy, and meant to take the words from the viewer's mouth. Tempest was no exception.

Behind her Edgar called out, "Oh, Tera, wonderful that you're here. Take Miss," he leaned over so he could see her.

"T-Tempest." She stuttered. "But I think this is a mistake..."

"Take Miss Tempest," he continued. "To a side room and fit her out with proper clothing." A maid with a passive expression and brown hair stepped to Tempest, taking her by the elbow. Tera simply nodded to the butler, guiding a babbling Tempest down hallways with pillars lining the walls. None of her protests were listened to as she was taken to a room not unlike a study, and handed a pair of navy pants and a white blouse worth three of her old paychecks.

"I can't wear this!" She waved the clothing. Tempest was not exactly sure how she got in this mess, but one thing was certain: Prodigy was going to kill her. He had given her one task, and she had batched it in so many ways.