◇like an animal◇

"i'm asking nicely."

"okay, quit giving statements, you five. we're going to discuss amongst ourselves first. sou and kanna are working together... i've got no doubt." you looked at the two, you could somewhat see where keiji got the idea. "k-keiji!! there ain't no way kanna is up to no good!! kanna's... being used by the beanie guy! he's gonna cast her aside! don't you dare pick her!" you quickly nodded in agreement with reko. "i got it, woof! long haired apron guy said his role last, so he's suspicious, meow! definitely lying, woof!" this was becoming quite the conundrum. "i was about the believe joe earlier... but is he really the sage?" q-taro seemed easy to manipulate. "we.. we can't possibly find the answer in this little time!" alice grunted. "ghh! it pains me, but as sou or f/n could potentially be the keymaster, we shouldn't vote for them..!"

"you got a way to determine the roles?" you thought for a minute. "hm.. uh, right! okay, joe, what's.... uh, what's the design on the keymaster card?" he stayed quiet. "huh? you can answer, can't you? as the sage... well done, f/n! you've revealed the truth with just one question!"..did you? "don't take me lightly, will ya? obviously, it's a picture of a key!!" sou immediately laughed. "hahaha! the keymaster, so it's actually a key..? too bad. actually... kanna... what did it look like to you?" kanna was shaking. "...it was a picture... of a lock." sou nodded. "...correct. the design for the keymaster is a lock.. slipped up right at the very end, joe." you slowly looked down, pulling the rulebook out of your desk.

"the sage knows who the keymaster is via divination, but cannot lie about the results if divination."

..the sage couldn't even see the design, could they..? "the sage.. wouldn't mention a design. are tou the sage, kai?" you hated that you had to ask. sara looked like she was about to collapse. joe was sweating. "ha..hahahahaha.. my fate has been set, then..." fuck. "huh.. so kai was the sage." sou pointed out. "y-you! sure 'nuff, you had kanna lie for you!!" why would kanna do that? "more importantly, we should listen to kai. kai's last words, that is." he spoke with no remorse. "when we came to the subject of designs... i realized i was in danger. i thought i might play dumb... but it was clear i would be the most voted due to my lack of trust... yet.. yet... i... i do not wish... to die..." most people didn't. "the sacrifice... is surely joe." part of you knew that the second you asked kai if he was the sage. you tried to deny it in your head. "i am convinced.. he purposefully took actions that could be read as those of the sage. and thus, please... please vote for sou!!"

joe... asked people not to vote for him when he said he was the sage. if he was the sacrifice, wouldn't he want people to vote for him..? "ahah, why me?" sou seemed amused. "he is a dangerous man! he will certainly disturb our teamwork, and lead everyone into danger..!! i did indeed have contact with the kidnappers! but if you let me live, i will tell everything! i have vital information for our escape..!!" why did he only care when he was a victim..? "see ya, kai." sou was unnervingly calm. "g...guys... don't be fooled.. i... i'm the sage.." there was no time. "it's time to vote. please refrain from whisperings."

"please..don't kill me!"

your heart hurt. but there wasn't anything you could do. you raised a shakey finger, tapping kai's face once again. and then the results were displayed.

f/n - 0 votes

joe - 3 votes

sara - 0 votes

sou - 3 votes

kai - 7 votes

ah. this is it. "that's too bad... you lose, kai." was sou really ridiculing him in this situation..? "...i understand. so long as you may be the sacrifice, choosing you is risky..." you wondered who voted for sou. "it's.more than that. if you picked me with emotion... that would be your will. but everyone chose with logic... awful, isn't it?.... 'this vote isn't about our own wills!' that's what everyone is telling themselves. that's how they're fooling themselves." nao was crying. "i'm sorry...!! i'm sorry..!! i'm sorry..." miley was laughing. "ehehe. now, everyone, enjoy yourselves as i check your answers. first, the sage! you were right on, everyone! it was kai satou! next, the keymaster! ehehe, the fierce battle between you was a true sight to see! amazing! it was f/n l/n!"