Chapter Five

Evelyn's best friend, Dina, came rushing up to her in the coffee shop. "Oh, my God. Have you seen the latest World Star?"

"The next issue isn't due out until next week," Evelyn said, paying for her mocha latte.

"Special edition, girlfriend, and guess who made the front page for a change?"

Evelyn stared at the picture of her kissing Calem as she read, "Personal Chef Evelyn Quinn Gives Fiancé Jackson Brewer, a Taste of His Own Medicine." Special Edition by Sasha Miller.

Evelyn snatched the magazine out of Dina's hand, flipped to the article, and read-

Making a statement. It's not hard to see why Evelyn Quinn chose to make such a public declaration of asserting "two can play the same game" when she kissed a random passerby the other day in front of the condominium that she shares with her fiancé Jackson Brewer.

After months of mistreatment, a little payback seems almost appropriate. That is before Jackson socked the innocent man in the face. A rather cowardly move on his part, proven by the bold slap he received from his own fiancée, for such a barbaric display.

Many have wondered who this man is, but honestly, it could have been anyone it seems. He holds little consequence to the bigger picture. Evelyn Quinn has spoken. She is not going to take Jackson's cheating so lightly anymore. Will the couple reconcile and move on? That remains to be seen.

Perhaps now that Evelyn got a taste of the other side, she may have realized the truth. That the average guy off the street would probably be a better choice for her than her own fiancé.

Evelyn sat at an empty table and stared at the bold truth of Sasha Miller's words.

Dina joined her and flipped the magazine around to see the picture of the random guy Evelyn chose to kiss.

"He's pretty hot," Dina said.

Evelyn broke out of her thoughts and looked at the picture Dina was referring to. It was taken from a different angle. She could see Calem's face before it was messed up by Jackson's fist. She had to admit, Dina was right, from his sandy brown hair to his strong jawline, to his sleek build he was undeniably handsome.

"He looks pretty into you, that's for sure."

Evelyn stared at the photo. At this angle, it was evident she wasn't the only one emotionally taken in by that kiss. They looked like lovers, the way Calem had her wrapped in his embrace. Evelyn could almost feel his warmth as she stared at the picture.

Then there was the picture of Jackson punching Calem in the face. Jackson's face is ugly, contorted in a jealous rage. Calem's head is flung back from the force of the hit.

Evelyn knew Calem wanted her to forget about the whole thing but her guilt ate at her. If only there was something, she could do to make it up to him. If only she could forget the way his lips felt against hers.

"I know that look. You're into him!" Dina shut the magazine to look at the cover again. "You really have no idea who he is?"

Evelyn shook her head no. She didn't want anyone to know that she talked to Calem. She's caused him enough trouble already.

"Pity." Dina pushed the magazine back towards Evelyn.

"And why is that?" Evelyn held up her ringed finger to accentuate her point. "I am engaged to be married, remember?"

"I wish I could forget." Dina's sneer made Evelyn laugh.

"Okay, I know you don't like Jackson, but..."