Chapter Six

The next week was hell for Calem. Working remotely was not ideal. Arranging virtual meetings was difficult. Most of his job required him to be on hand. He needed to inspect images and copy, to make last-minute decisions on what they would use in order to make the magazine perfect, and now, thanks to that kiss, he was M.I.A. at work.

Calem stretched back in his home-office chair and closed his eyes. One stupid kiss.

One perfect kiss–his brain corrected him. One amazing kiss that felt like no other. A kiss that turned his world upside down. A kiss his mind refused to forget.

"Gah!" Calem exclaimed, running his fingers through his hair. 

Fennick was right. Rumors spread like wildfire. Calem had people snapping his picture at the grocery store or the coffee shop. Posts were popping up all over social media with the hashtag loser or home-wrecker. He caught Jackson Brewer multiple times. Having an affair with several women meant nothing. Somehow Calem became public enemy number one.

Frustrated, Calem ventured outdoors again and went on a run. He stopped going to the gym because every woman glared at him for being the heartless bastard that broke up their favorite couple and every guy approached him, wanting to know what it was like sleeping with someone as beautiful as Evelyn.

Central Park was a great place to disappear. It was the only place Calem didn't have to bother concealing his identity. The people milling about were either tourists taking in the sites or New Yorkers looking to escape. Neither cared about Calem or his troubles. 

He was nearly at the end of his run when he heard someone call out. He never thought he'd see the day he'd become sick of hearing his own name. He picked up his pace. 

"Calem! Calem Decker!"

Wait. He knew that voice. His distraction caused him to trip over his own feet as he slowed his pace to look behind him. He stumbled but recovered.

"Evelyn?"

She was wearing that brilliant smile of hers. "Hey, I thought that was you."

Calem bent over, hands on his knees. A sudden stitch developed in his side or maybe it was a panic attack over Evelyn being here right now. Over 19 million people live in New York State. Over 8 million of them live in this city. What Calem couldn't figure out was, why out of those odds, did he have to face this situation now?

"It's me," Calem said lamely, trying to catch his breath.

"The eye is looking better."

Within a few days, the swelling had gone down and the dark colors of his bruise had faded from a deep purple to a yellowish-green. It still wasn't pleasant looking but it was an improvement.

"I'm a quick healer." Calem had to wonder why he was still standing here. He kept looking around Evelyn and behind him. If he gets caught talking to her again...

"Are you okay? You look nervous?"

"Look, no offense. It is nice to see you again but the last two times you and I... interacted, it sort of turned my life upside down and I think it is better if..."

"You don't want to be caught talking to me? Wow! Okay."

Evelyn looked so hurt by his words. Calem immediately relented as she turned to walk away. He didn't even hesitate and reached out to grab Evelyn's wrist, stopping her.

"What I said... I didn't mean to hurt you."

Evelyn turned to look at Calem. Her chin thrust out and she swallowed hard. She tried her best to act unaffected by his words.