Chapter Fifteen

Ethan Jenner paid the doorman to discover that Jackson was indeed at home. He set up in the alley across the street. He adjusted his 200mm lens focusing at length on Kate who was positively stunning, leaning up against the wall a few doors down.

Her red hair fell in soft waves around her face, her makeup was done to perfection. She must have had someone else do it for her as he knew her to be a minimalist when it came to makeup, and her hair was normally pulled back in a ponytail so it wouldn't interfere with her photography.

The dress she wore looked expensive and hugged her every curve. He took a few shots of her adjusting his focus. If only it were so easy to do so in real life. Whenever Kate showed up his focus was completely shot.

He looked in the lens again and she turned her head. Ethan would have sworn Kate was staring straight at him. He narrowed the focus to capture those beautiful green eyes of hers. "Stupid, woman. What the hell am I doing here?" Ethan took another few shots.

Kate had been taking notes on Jackson's actions over the last week. She noticed he had a routine. Since this was all staged it made sense, his actions weren't random.

Sure, enough he exited the building just as she predicted.

"Show time."

Kate saw Jackson exit the building, now it was time to make her move. She strutted towards him in her stilettos with confidence and she saw when he took note of her.

She wanted to smile but acted unaffected. When she got close enough, she pretended to trip over the pavement. She gasped but two firm arms reached out and saved her.

Kate pressed her hand over her heart bringing Jackson's attention to how low cut her dress was. "Oh, thank you! My heart feels like it was going to leap out of chest. I really thought..." Her actions were punctuated with how breathy her words came out.

Jackson took a moment to steady her. "Are you, okay?"

Kate looked up at him and gave him a breath-taking smile. "I am now that you saved me. How can I ever thank you?"

A million ways flashed through Jackson's mind but he let his hands fall to his sides. "No need." He pulled away and took a step past her.

Kate walked forward but yelped in pain which caused Jackson to look back. He sighed and turned around to put his hands on Kate's shoulders to steady her as she tried to balance on one foot. Kate gingerly turned her ankle and winced in pain.

"Can you put pressure on it?"

Kate tried out Jackson's suggestion and she seemed capable. Her hand reached up across her chest to touch his. "I should be fine. I turned over on it when I tripped. It's a little sore is all."

Jackson let her go to come around and face her. She tried to take a step forward and managed to do so but with a limp.

Jackson sighed. "You may have sprained it. Let me hail you a cab."

"Thank you," Kate said and he took her arm to lead her over to the side of the road. He waved down a cab and asked her where she was headed.

"I was planning on going home before I needed to meet someone but now, I may be late."

"Well, then I guess the ride will help you make up the time."

Jackson pulled the door open for her and took her hand so she could lower herself onto the seat.

"I feel terrible," Kate said giving Jackson an appreciative once over look. "It's obvious you were heading somewhere. Do you want to share the cab?"

Jackson was heading to Raphael's but knew he couldn't be seen with her. "Thank you but no."