Chapter Seven

Calem turned in his article for next week's print. He hoped this would end the nightmare he's walked into. He had to make this work, not only for his sake but for the sake of everyone at World Star.

He checked his time, showered, and dressed. His plan, go to Raphael's and tell Evelyn that he's agreed to do an exclusive with Sasha Miller to set the record straight. He didn't think it was fair that Jackson not only got to drag his name through the mud but Evelyn's as well. She didn't deserve that.

Calem rode his motorcycle through the city traffic and parked it in the back alley of Raphael's restaurant. He loved his bike because of the anonymity it gave him. He removed his helmet and ran his fingers through his hair before knocking on the steel doors.

They cracked open, and there was Evelyn, smiling at him. Calem really wished she wouldn't, because every time Evelyn did it scrambled his brain. He needed to be clear-headed to get through these next few minutes.

"Nice bike. Come on in." Evelyn opened the door wider for Calem to enter.

"Thanks."

She led him into the kitchen area where she was already prepping the main course for the night.

Calem took a look around the kitchen. Several stations were stocked and waiting for her attention. "Are you sure you have time to talk? You seem rather busy."

"So long as you don't mind me working while we talk. I'll be just fine."

"Any way I  can help?"

"You know your way around a kitchen?"

"A bit. I sort of grew up in one."

Evelyn handed Calem a chef's knife. I need you to mince those vegetables over there," she said pointing to the counter facing her with the knife in her hand.

Calem washed his hand in the nearby sink and then got busy. Evelyn was impressed with his skills and the speed at which he worked.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," Calem began.

"Go ahead."

"I agreed to do an exclusive interview with Sasha Miller."

Evelyn's hand paused mid-slice and her eyes met his. "Sasha Miller?"

"Yeah, she wants the truth and I want the same. You said yourself that it's the only tabloid you trust. So, I think it's important to set the record straight."

"I see," Evelyn said going back to slicing the chicken breast thin.

Now it was Calem's turn to pause. "Look, I'm not doing this for any other purpose than to clear my name and yours."

"Mine?"

Calem wondered why she sounded surprised.

"Yeah, yours. Jackson is trying to make everyone believe you're having an affair. You're not the cheater, he is but somehow, he has twisted this whole thing in his favor. It's not fair. To you, to me. You're a good woman and don't deserve to have all of New York and beyond thinking you're not."

"I kissed you, remember?"

"Like I could forget. Trust me I've tried. It's impossible."

Evelyn smiled at him. Embarrassed by his confession, Calem quickly went back to dicing.

"All I'm saying is that I did cheat on him. I kissed you. I picked you out of the crowd to get my revenge on my fiancé for making out with his co-star in some club. I did that. So, he has a right to be mad or hurt or whatever he's feeling right now."