Chapter Eleven

Evelyn landed at Kansas City International and hailed a taxi to take her to her hotel. She wanted to get cleaned up before tracking down Calem. She had not a clue what she'd say to him when she did. Her thoughts drifted as the cabbie made his way through the city and she became entranced by its charm.

About an hour after checking in, Evelyn's stomach growled. She made certain her suite had a kitchen since nothing tastes better than a home-cooked meal. When inquiring about where to shop for groceries, the hotel concierge told her about River Market.

The Farmer's Market was a chef's dream. Evelyn smiled as she took in the sights, sounds, and especially the tastes. Grapes from local vineyards, vegetables from local farms. There is no substitute for homegrown. Evelyn started gathering her ingredients.

Stopping at one stall, Evelyn looked over their tomatoes to add to her sauce.

"You're new around here. Just passin' through or settin' up shop?"

Evelyn looked up at the woman who was restocking the corn and smiled. "Visiting. I wish I were staying. There are so many wonderful flavors going on in this market. Is it always like this?"

"Pretty much. We're as diverse as our produce around here. As far as favors and tastes, if you're hungry, you have plenty to pick from. We have Asian, Mediterranean, and Mexican, to name a few. Even some fusions of, well, just about every kind. If you're in the mood for something sweet, we got a great cupcake shop, or perhaps you prefer ice cream?"

"Honestly, I'm in the mood for it all, but right now I think I want to settle for a home-cooked meal."

"Is that so? I knew you had the earmark of a chef. I can always tell them apart from my regular customers. They have a particular way of handling the produce. I guess because chefs know food is like a relationship, you have to take your time and scope your options. You don't just grab what's right in front of you, it's got to feel right, you know?"

"Sage words, I wish I heard them 10 years ago."

"Nursing a broken heart?"

"More disheartened than broken. I guess people change and if you don't change with them you end up wanting different things, become different people."

The woman gave her a knowing smile. "You're preaching to the choir on that one. I know just what you need to cheer you up."

"Really?" Evelyn asked hopefully.

The woman hooked her arm with Evelyn's. "Picture a home-cooked meal with some BBQ chicken, steamed veggies, roasted potatoes, and cornbread pudding. Perhaps some homemade peach blackberry pie with just a smidge of vanilla ice cream?" the woman offered, pinching her fingers together when she said the word smidge.

"That sounds divine. Where can I get such a meal around here?"

"My place."

Evelyn looked shocked at this stranger and the woman laughed letting go of Evelyn's arm to take off her apron.

"First day in a new city can make you feel a little out of place. Why don't you come back to my farm and you can hash out your troubles over a good meal? Kelly?" The woman yelled over to the younger woman who was helping another customer.

"I'm cutting out a little early."

The young woman nodded.

"I don't want to take you away from your work?" Evelyn said saying the first excuse to come to her mind.

"It's no trouble. I own the stand and the farm that makes those beauties you got in your hands right now."

Evelyn looked down at the large, juicy-looking tomatoes she was holding. "I have to pay for these."