What Is Love?

(baby don't hurt me)

(Author's note: Just something I wrote while thinking if whether or not I like my Christmas fanfic :,) )

(Author's 2nd note: I love writing stories about the same two dorks falling in love)

💛💛💛

"May I interest you in a small drink?"

"Pfft- What?"

"We've reached a new record this week; 70 souls."

"How can we break a record if we don't even have one?" She snorted

"Well- Still... Not bad for just starting out." The other admired her nails- even though her hands were gloved.

"Sure, but, we could definitely do better."

"Ugh! Do you wanna drink or not, Boss?"

The Devil looked up at Queen Dice from the paperwork on her desk. The woman's eyebrows were furrowed across her forehead, though less angry and more annoyed with her Boss. Even so, she got sucked into those alluring green eyes. Her mind went blank, her body tensed, her face went extremely warm, and her throat went dry. She swallowed hard, still looking for words for a simple yes or no question.

"Well?" Dice raised an eyebrow.

"Fine." The Devil cleared her throat, tearing away from Queen's gaze and back to her paperwork.

"Alright, I'll be right back." Queen Dice winked, turning to go out the door and clicking it latched behind her.

"What was that?" The Devil asked herself aloud, as if a higher power knew the answer. She heaved a long sigh, leaning back in her chair, racking her brain. There wasn't anything significant about Dice to make her feel this way. It wasn't like the Devil wanted to... Hold her hand for example. Or brush her fingers through her hair. Or take her out to a dinner, just the two of them. Or just sit and talk, and as they get wrapped up in a conversation and laugh at each other's jokes and talk about their feelings and lean in and share a passionate kiss-

Or... Any of that garbage.

The door clicked back open, the Devil quickly leaning on her desk and acting natural.

"I can't have more than one- maybe two- drinks cuz I've got a walk home- " Dice stopped, staring at the Devil. "Why are you leaning on your desk like that?"

"Like what? I don't know what- I- I always lean on my counter like this."

"Do you?"

"Yeeeeah..."

Queen Dice chuckled, sending a rather odd trickle up the Devil's spine. Though, it wasn't necessarily a bad feeling. She didn't think so at least.

"You're so weird, Boss." Dice continued to chuckle, setting the whiskey and glasses down. "But I love you for it." She glanced up from the drink. "Like. I like you for it."

They both went silent, Dice pouring their drinks and the Devil stared down to her desk. She kept her eyes on the contract she had currently been signing. Dice had only said that sentence- the 'I love you' one a couple times before. And it always made the Devil's heart beat out of her low-collared chest. Each time, it made the Devil feel uncomfortable in a comfortable way. Which made no sense. The Devil wasn't even sure what love meant.

"This is regular whiskey, not your demon-only, bourbon." Dice placed the drink in front of her. "Enjoy otherwise."

The Devil lifted her drink to her lips, averting her eyes from Dice and drank her whiskey. The two of them went quiet for a while, refusing to look at each other.
Of course, Dice kept her word and only had one drink and was soon on her way.