At The End Of The Day

Warm a single tear leaked from my eye, water brimmed threatening to spill. Everything was out of focus, blurred as my breath caught in my throat. Elena without hesitation pulled me into a hug. Her arms tightly around my arms, compressing me in a warmth as my head fell onto her shoulder, feeling them rise and fall in time with her breathing. 

"Hey, it's okay to feel this, it's very clear that he meant something to you, and I can't imagine being in your situation. I'm always here if you need me not just for giggles and shits, as a friend...not actually your best friend" Elena broke the silence rubbing my back in circular motions which actually soother my ragged breathing. She pulled back and make me look at her, "And like i said your my best friend, You know you can literally tell me anything and everything." her smile, it melted me feeling warm inside as she held my gaze. "Yeah.... your, your right...." my words fell over themselves and came out worse than i expected. She pulled me back and kept me locked in that hug. 

Elena let me go as she got up, the sofas weight changing as she started heading to the cabinet. I sat there, wiping my eyes dampening my hands whilst attempting to get my composer back. MY hands supported my face cupping them in a shallow darkness as my thighs supported my elbows, I felt nauseous. My stomach fluttered as my mind crashed with thoughts and a plethora of feelings, rubbing my face i groaned taking deep breaths. The sounds of clinking glasses and the unscrewing of a cap cause me to run my hands from my face through my hair to the back of my head, digging my nails into my scalp as my fingers intertwined. Deep breath in. Hold. Out. Repeat...

I closed my eyes, letting my hair fall like curtains over my face giving me a space to try and relax. facing their laminate flooring i took a deep breath in and looked up holding my hands to the back of my head. Feeling my muscles stretch and bend my spine let out a small crack as Elena came by tapping me on the shoulder, one final long exhale I looked up at her. She stood there a grin painted on her face as she held a glass out, a (insert drink of choice and the glass it's in). It glistened in the glass container, the smell potent and somewhat soothing to me. "What Nate won't know won't hurt, plus you need this" I carefully took the glass from her, correcting my position as I held cools glass between both dampened palms. "Thanks, you know me too well" I forced a laugh as I raised the glass to her as she sat next to me.

Her glass, wide brimmed filled partly with a pink bubbling mixture, Elena held out her glass to mine the light catching the glass, causing it to shine lightly "To Sam, Gone but never forgotten." Elena put it bluntly but eliquently, i raised me glass "yeah to Sam, Gone but never forgotten" a small smile creeped onto my face as i said those words and lightly tapped the brims of our glasses together hearing the small tink and taking a sip. Well a swig. We sat there side by side sharing stories and other things about what has been going on in life and she asked me questions about the mysterious Samuel Drake. "So  he was just like Nate then?" se was now sat facing me, legs crossed on the sofa holding her 3rd glass. "Haha, you could say that but sam had a little more smarts around him, he loved to torment the fuck outta Nate and they would bicker...Alot. Sam also there was something i remember about him...." i paused, Elena tried to shuffle closer as i looked off to the side and saw the time. 

"Oh shit is that the time fuck, ive gotta get back so i can get some things doneee.... oh bollocks" my state of mind altered by the alcohol and my preception of time gone well out the window with that. Elena aswell looked at the time, her jaw visibly dropping slightly. "Nate did say he was working later tonight, i got the message like an hour ago." my eyes widened and just blankly stared "Well then i better skidaddle" i stumbled off the sofa since ive been sat down for awhile, the muscles dead and tense. we walked to the front door gigling at the day we've had. "hey, may i use your loo, my bladder is busting" i crossed my legs and bounced slightly on the spot. cracking her up, she nodded and pointed upstairs "follow your nose... And dont leave a trail" he voice muffled as I reached the bathroom, all I could hear was some heavenly music. Getting in and locking thr door I did my business, feeling much lighter than before as I washed my hands and hurried down the stairs. We shared one final hug before I left. "message me when you get back okay." he spoke as she hled me by the shoulders patting them before letting go. "don't wanna hear you've been stabbed or something" her voice laced with concern.

"don't worry mum, I'll be fine" I laughed. Parting ways i left her home later than i anticipated since Nate was working overtime and that's when I was going to head back by saying bye to him then vacating their home. However, he stayed late. Elena stood on their doorstep, the glow of the light moving past her casing a shaddow into the evening. I waved her goodbye as I left the iron gated pavement. With a loud bang the light stopped and her driveway was drowned in the darkness, I started to walk back home.

The wind, brushing past my body sending goosebumps over my arms. Hearing the whisps of wind against my ear the longer I walked numbing that area to the bite of the cold. Cars whipped past, their headlights blinding as they aproched, life wasn't really around other than the metal tins that passed me. It was dead, I was the only person on the streets, my pulse raced. Darkness was everywhere, around every corner only the light from the light posts banished this and showed me the way home. the cone of light flickering, sending signals to passers by like me to go home.

My ears pricked up, the sound of footsteps resonated behind me. They were slower but harder, the sound of rubber on concrete more dominant than my own. "One missisippy.... two missisippy... Fuck missisippy" I muttered as I got to a corner to cross a road. Cars blindly pushed forward and I was forced to wait, the sounds of the steps drawing near. They stopped. I felt their presence behind me, another shadow mixed with mine. "fuck missisippy... Shit missisippy...." I muttered and I saw them move behind me.

My head went light and my chest pounded and I swand my arm behind me feeling the contact and kicking out pushing them away. Turning around my eyes widened and ready to fight for my life I saw a man on his knees gasping slightly. I got into a fighting stance expecting him to get up and charge me. He just looked up at me.

Those eyes, so familiar, that hair line....