Chapter 6: I Vow You

One week and six days. That's how many days Shadow has been going to Silver's house for dancing lessons. And yes. That meant Blaze was only one day away from losing this bet and having to spend the night over at Amy's house. The problem was she couldn't sabotage anything. Silver set up ground rules in this bet and one of them was specifically, no sabotage. That means Blaze doesn't get to make something up and tell Shadow there were no lessons or anything. And Silver couldn't force Shadow to come if he didn't want to.

But Shadow wanted to. He had come so far in the mast thirteen days. And in today's lesson, Silver taught him how to lift up the partner gracefully. Everyone knew Tikal was the kind of girl who would want to be lifted during a ceremonial dance of some sort. And what bigger ceremony is there than a wedding? And this one was gonna be huge. Why? Because Shadow the Hedgehog was the groom.

Even though Shadow proposed to Tikal almost a month and a half ago, some people were still trying to wrap their heads around the fact that out of all of them, Shadow is gonna be the first one to get hitched. Everyone was so sure it was either gonna be Silver and Blaze or Knuckles and Rouge to go first. But no. Shadow beat them to the punch. And they honestly couldn't be happier. Now they get to observe him and watch if he makes any mistakes. And then in the future they could avoid them.

Halfway through the lesson, they took a break and Silver ordered the two of them a pizza. While they waited, Shadow said something he hardly ever says to anyone except Tikal.

"Silver..I want to thank you for these lessons." The dark hedgehog said.

Silver thought he was hearing things. Shadow the Hedgehog just said thank you voluntarily and he actually meant it. At first he thought he was high or something. But no. Shadow was one hundred percent sincere.

"It's no big deal, Shadow. I'm just helping out a friend." Silver replied.

"And I want to thank you by doing something in return." Shadow looked Silver dead in his eyes and then spoke the following question.

"Silver, would you like to be my best man?"

Best man? Silver? At Shadow's wedding? Blaze was within earshot and she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Shadow finally selected a best man. And it was Silver of all people.

"Shadow….I would be honored." Silver answered. "But are you sure? I thought for sure you would ask Sonic or even Omega over me."

"Omega is a robot. As cool as it would be for it to be a Team Dark wedding, that would be a little chaotic. And Faker was gonna be my first choice before these lessons. But you did this for me and I owe you. So for that, the best man spot is yours. If you want it, that is."

Silver immediately nodded his head before Shadow decided to change his mind.

"Of course I want it. Thanks, Shadow."

Shadow nodded as a response to Silver's happiness. A few minutes later, the pizza arrived and the two hedgehogs finished three quarters of it. Silver was gonna let Shadow take the leftovers home with him. Both of them knew they would just rot in the fridge if they remained there.

And then Silver seemed to notice something else about the black and red hedgehog. His face seemed to be off somewhere else. Even during the lesson today he seemed to be off in another world. And since Silver was now Shadow's best man, it was now his job to make sure he was okay.

"Is there something else bothering you, Shadow?" the grey hedgehog asked.

Shadow looked up at him. It seemed he wasn't gonna let this go. So he let him in.

"It's Tikal. She's fine and everything, but now Rose stupidly put the idea in her head that the two of us should write our own vows."

Silver smiled at that idea.