Part 8

"So?" Pepper asked, looking up at Tony after stirring her coffee. "Why did you call me here, Tony?"

Tony, whose heart was racing inside his chest, was looking around the room they were sat in - his office in Stark Industries. He tried to speak, but his throat was dry.

"If you called me here to give me another one of your apologies you actually don't mean, then-"

"No, it's nothing like that." Tony quickly interrupted the woman."Pepper, look. We both knew this between us wouldn't work out-"

"I told you that, but you were the one who kept insisting we get back together." Pepper said.

"Yes, you're right. And now I can see that as well."

"Really? What made you change your mind?"

Tony sighed. "I'm gonna be a dad."

Pepper's eyes suddenly widened as she waited to see if she heard Tony correctly. "What? How?"

"It happened when we broke up the last time. We were drunk." Tony explained. "I never wanted it to happen, but... " He looked up to meet Pepper's gaze. "I always wanted to have a kid."

"I know." Pepper nodded, her soft gaze scanning over Tony's face.

"And before it happened I thought we could make this work. I even thought of proposing."

"That would not fix things between us, Tony." Pepper said.

Tony nodded.

"And the girl?"

Tony looked up. "What about her?"

"Are you two together or-"

"We're not." Tony said.

Pepper smiled. "How does she look?"

Tony let out a breath. "She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."

"I'm happy for you, Tony." Pepper smiled, taking Tony's hand which was laid on top of the table and squeezing it in reassurance. "I hope you two will be happy with your baby."

"You're not mad?"

"I'm not. It didn't work out between the two of us, but maybe that's a good thing."

That day, Tony left the office feeling like a huge weight was lifted from his shoulders. Then, he found himself in front of your door. As soon as he found you opening the door with a smile on your face, he relaxed, too.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" He asked, looking you up and down.

"Nobody else is home."You replied."You wanna come in or what?"

"Actually, you're going out with me."Tony said.

"What? Where?"

"Not far away."Tony replied. "Grab your jacket, it's cold outside."

You listened to Tony, taking your jacket and putting it on. Tony moved your hair out of the way before zipping up your jacket.

"Where are you taking me?"

"I got something for you." Tony said, taking your hand and leading you to the elevator.

"What?" You asked with a grin. "Like pickles?"

Tony looked at you as the door closed."It's something bigger."

You were surprised as he led you into the building right next to yours.

"Where are we going?" You asked, seeing Tony unlock one door.

"I bought you this apartment." Tony said as he led you inside and closed the door.

"What?" You almost screamed out."How? When? Why?"

"Today. Because, I guess, living with two other girls must be stressful for you... " You raised an eyebrow as you looked at him. "... and the baby."

"But... but... "

"Wait, you have to see this."He took your hand and led you down the hall to another door. "Are you ready?"

"I guess."

He opened the door, revealing behind them a nursery, all in neutral colors. Everything in it was done, from the bed, closet, changing table and toys. The only thing missing were clothes for the baby. "I thought we would buy the clothes together."

"Tony... " You gasped, wiping the tears from the corner of your eyes. This was definitely not what you were expecting to see.

"You like it?"

"I love it, but isn't it too early?"

Tony shrugged. "I couldn't wait." He said. "Now, do you wanna see the rest of the apartment?"