xxvi

NOW PLAYING...
OUR WORD by JESSIE SHELTON, 36 QUESTIONS

Your umbrella laid beside you in the sand as you smelled your burning flesh while holding up the car that contained your friends

Your umbrella laid beside you in the sand as you smelled your burning flesh while holding up the car that contained your friends. At a certain point, you simply couldn't take it anymore and you threw the buggy away from the water once you realized it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. You raced to your umbrella, opened it once more, and tried to calm down. You plopped yourself onto the ground just in time to notice the water disappear back into the sand. You glanced over at the group to make sure they, too, thought the same thing--Don't make any noise or the Stand user will know where you are. That's when Avdol had an idea. He took off his bracelets and threw five of them in front of him in a line. 

Fake footsteps, you thought, genius. 

When the water appeared, so did Magician's Red. But, it was too fast to vaporize and got a shot on Avdol.

"Av--" You stopped yourself, covering your mouth with your hands as blood shot from his neck and he fell to the ground. 

The water reappeared as a hand, about to attack once more when Jotaro began running to confuse the Stand. Seeing this opportunity, the water dove back into the sand to catch up with the young Joestar. To your shock, he darted right past you and picked up Iggy. At the point at which he stopped, he and Iggy were engulfed in sand. 

"Ugh, curse this sun," you spat. "Had I not been burned, I could help and do something."

Out from the sand emerged Iggy and Jotaro, flying with The Fool. It was the perfect way to avoid the water Stand. However, it could not glide for long. Jotaro was forced to use his Star Platinum to get more air, revealing his location to the water. 

"Alright screw this," you snapped, summoning Bears in Trees underneath you. "I may be weak and injured, but this water is pissing me off."

As you ran past Joseph on the back of BIT, he had his Hermit Purple wrap around you both and bring you back into his field of vision. "We got to trust Jotaro and, besides, you are in no condition to fight. You said it yourself."

"But maybe I could--"

"No."

"You didn't even hear what I had to say."

"I don't need to. Your gonna try to distract the Stand so Jotaro can focus on finding the user. I'm telling you now that's not gonna work. The second they get a hint of you being weakened and their Morning Star, they'll be on you like bears to honey--er, no offense."

You huffed, laying on BIT while keeping your umbrella still. "The second I get my hands on them, their blood is mine."

Polneraff shuddered. "When do you think I'll get used to you doing that?"

≛✪≛

"I've come for the blood of the dead guy!"

As the sun set, you were free to stick your torso out of the buggy as Joseph drove the rest of your merry band of misfits toward Jotaro and Iggy. 

Joseph drifted to a halt once they were in view. That's when you jumped out, looked around, and rubbed your hands together. "Oh, where is he, Jojo? I need to heal these burns ASAP!" 

"Don't bother," Jotaro responded, "I buried him."

You practically jumped back. "I thought you loved me."

He rolled his eyes but had a smile. He pointed his thumb toward the cane in the sand, kissed your cheek, then walked to the buggy. 

"Well, that was... a nice gesture. Wonder what the guy said to him..." You looked down at the small dog near your feet, who was not sleeping or trying to rip your face off. You bent down and opened your arms open. To your surprise, he jumped in, but it was a nice surprise nonetheless. You smiled and gave him a nice rub on the head. "You're not so bad. Maybe that's just my affinity for animals taking, but I think I'm gonna like having you around." You dug around in your purse for a piece of coffee-flavored gum and tossed it to him. 

You returned to the buggy, laying your head on Jotaro's shoulder. He put his hand on yours. "I'll save the next guy for ya."

"You better," you teased, petting the sleeping dog on your lap, "or you owe me some of your blood."

Joseph chuckled from the front seat, hearing the conversation. "You better listen to her, Jotaro. She's a lot like her grandmother and that woman still reminds me that I owe her a coat from back when we were young."

"Oh, I won't take it that far," you reassured. "After all, blood donations exist."

-end of chapter twenty-six