Prolouge

JUNE 25TH, 1961

It was a quiet night in London. Peaceful even, some would say. A cool breeze blew, complimenting the pale hues of pink, orange and purple that painted the clear sky. The River Thames rippled and crashed against the bridges of the silent city, as though it were giving a show to anyone who would pass by. In the distance, the signature clock tower chimes three times, marking the beginning of the eleventh hour. As families, couples, and others wandered the quaint streets, all were unaware of the world just beneath their feets and in their walls. If only they knew that at that very moment, on the third chime, in a house seen only to those with sight beyond the naked eye, a child was coming into the world.

"Mrs. Black I am going to need you to push" the family healer called out over the weak woman's sobs. As much as she wanted something, anything, to numb the pain she felt, her husband had denied her such options. Her husband stood at her side, arms crossed and growing more and more impatient at the arrival of his second child. Glaring at the healer and demanding they quicken the process, Orion noticed movement in his peripheral vision and snapped his head towards the small boy creeping towards the bed. The man grabbed the boy's arm and snatched him away before he could reach out for his mother. The two year old looked up at his father, tears welling up in his eyes from the pain and force. Orion lifted his hand to slap the boy when loud cries echoed filled the room. The healer lifted the baby high to show the family. "A boy My Lord" Orion shoved the boy to the side and took the baby from the healer. The boy took the opportunity to scramble and throw himself onto the bed and to his mother's side. "Mama?" Sirius sat on his knees in front of the worn out woman. He had never seen her like this. He wanted to hold her and let her know he was here. He put his little hand on hers and she gave him a tired smile before patting the small spot next to her stomach. He wasted no time smiling and crawling into the spot and hugging her, cautious as to not cause her any more pain. Walburga smiled and patted the young boy's head before looking at her husband and admiring her new baby. The baby was small and pale with a tuft of black hair. Orion rubbed the sleeping child's face before looking back at his wife and other son curled up together in the bloodstained bed. He would let them relax for now. Orion snapped his fingers and with a loud CRACK a short rather ugly creature with big ears and sagging skin wearing a pillowcase appeared. "Kreacher, prepare my chambers for tonight. I shall leave her and the children to rest" Kreacher nodded and disappeared with another CRACK. The healer, who had been silently performing cleaning and healing spells, came up with a quill and parchment. "Do we have a name for the child my Lord?" With another look at his sleeping family, he turned and announced "His name shall be Regulus Arcturus Black"

3 Years Later

Regulus was sitting on the parlour room floor with Sirius while they played with a tiny potions kit, unaware of the conversation raging behind him. "What do you mean 'it is permanent'? Are you so incompetent that you cannot reverse such a curse as this?!" Orion seethed. The healer looked put out and rubbed his hands together, as if summoning heat to them. "My Lord, it is not a curse, but a natural mutation of the human body. It simply cannot be reversed. Wizards and witches alike have had this issue for years and there is no cure ""So you're saying my son can never hear?" Walburga stated, tears stinging her bright grey eyes. "I'm afraid not Ma'am" Orion slammed his fist on the table next to him causing everyone but Regulus to flinch. "I demand you find a way for him to hear! He needs to be able to communicate!" Sirius looked up to his parents and the healer and frowned. Father had been yelling at the man since he was called to the home and they kept bringing up Regulus. It upset him to see so much negativity coming from them. Regulus, still oblivious to everything, was crushing scarab beetles and wiping them into the cauldron. Sirius tapped his arm and held up two fingers. Regulus nodded before grabbing the wooden spoon next to him and stirring counterclockwise. "Well it seems to me that the boys have already found a form of communication that works just fine. I suggest you follow in their lead" The healer stood and bowed to the family before stepping into the fireplace and disappearing in the green flames. Walburga wept into her hands as Orion paced around the room. "Since there is no cure for him, the boy shall find another way to speak. I refuse to accept that pathetic excuse for communication to leech itself onto his mind. Alert the boys tutors to add speech lessons. I will not let that boy destroy the Black family image." Walburga looked up and nodded before leaving the parlour. Orion looked to the two boys, both of whom were looking up at him. "Sirius, one day you will be head of the Black family. I expect you to uphold our image and make sure certain affairs are never made public. Keep your brother's secret and keep our honour" Sirius nodded before turning back to the cauldron full of liquid that had been a beautiful silver, was now a dull and lifeless grey.