Prologue

A Crack.

That's the only thing I hear before my opponent falls to the floor with, what I guess, a pain-filled jaw. My breath comes out loud and fast. I'm trying to collect myself; I blink several times, head pounding. Slowly I hear the shouts coming from the crowd surrounding the ring.

Little by little I come out of my trance. I hear the ringing of the bell signaling I won the match. I slowly turn around, skimming my eyes over the crowd looking for him. I blink against the lights flashing at me.

There all the way at the back by the door his blonde hair stands out. Even though his face is covered by the dark shadows he still stands out, like at all my other fights, he stands out. He's not cheering or applauding. He stands still, I can't see his face from where I am, but I know it's blank.

"Carmin" Someone says my name. Barely can I hear. The crowd intensifies. I swear, I can still hear the bell ringing aggressively.

I ignore the voice while still looking at him. Trying my hardest to squint. I still can't see.

"Carmin?" that same voice said a bit louder. Arms grab and shake me. Slowly averting my gaze from the blonde hair boy to the voice calling I realize it was my dad.

"Carmin, are you alright?" he sound slightly panic but his face also gives nothing away, "Did you hit your head when you fell, are you in pain?"

"No" I said with a reassuring smile that was faker than his tan, it seemed to work. He wipes a rag across his face.

"Good" he said smiling. He pats me on the back then jumps out the ring.

On the way back we stop, take pictures, I sign cards as they're being thrusted in my face. Questions get thrown around; before they could reach me I'm being ushered out of view. I meet with my manager, trainer, crew, and father. Anyone whose face is supposedly behind my success. They celebrate with a toast, I watch silently as they go over terms, money, and events.

I haven't even changed from the fight I just had.

From here on out there's no time for resting, they tell me, you'll have to push yourself harder for the upcoming games.

What more would I have to sacrifice to become number one?

The question idles on my tongue; I hesitate and then swallow it down.

I don't reply, they smile and clap each other on the backs continuing celebrating for me.