Ch. 11 | Prey

"Satanas."

The name rang loud in your ears.

"Satan..?" You mumbled questioningly.

Imperator nodded, stepping to the 'servants' beside you and reaching out. Cirrus and Cumulus forced themselves to remain still, even when Imperator reached between them to grab Cumulus' hand. She tightened the grip on her wrist, and like a silent command the previously human-colored skin flaked away like paint to reveal light, grey skin. Cumulus' nails grew too, turning a deep black and extending to become claw-like and visibly sharp. Imperator pulled her closer, holding her hand against her own for comparison.

"Our ghouls were summoned from the very pits of hell to serve us, and we have trained them thoroughly to do so." She boasted proudly.

Despite her pride, you didn't miss the way Cumulus flinched when grabbed by Imperator, or the way Cirrus glared when the woman's grip tightened. The word 'train' now rung through your head, making you feel sour.

If Sister Imperator noticed, she chose ignored it and continued on with her passionate spiel.

"What happened to you Y/N, wasn't supposed to."

Letting Cumulus' hand fall back beside her, you observed with awe as it returned to its human colored form. Finished with her demonstration she stalked slowly to her desk and sat back in her chair.

"Just as how you weren't supposed to be here." she continued.

"Excuse me?"

You blurted without thinking. Imperator's small dig captured your attention and before you could stop yourself you spoke up against her.

"I was sleepwalking, I can't control that. No one can."

Imperator shrugged dismissively. As if she didn't believe you.

"Nonetheless, you cannot leave. You are a liability to us, and a danger to both yourself and our ghouls."

You furrowed your brows in confusion. A danger?

With your arms crossed over your chest and brows furrowed, Imperator could almost hear your frustrated thoughts. With a tired sigh she raised her hand to the ghouls, beckoning them.

"Cirrus, you can explain it better than me. Explain what was done." She commanded of the ghoul, sternly.

Cirrus would have argued back if she wasn't so inclined to follow orders. With a begrudging mental sigh and tightly clasped claws behind her, she followed her given order.

"He marked you as prey, our pack's prey."

'Prey'

The word echoed in your head, with images of the man you had seen lying unconscious on the dining table accompanied them.

"Was he another one of their pack's prey?" you ask.

Cirrus looked down at you empathetically, She could smell your fear, hear your rapid breath, even feel your speeding heart. She explained further.

"No, pack prey is something we used a lot when we were in the Pit. It helped us keep track of prey if they got away during a hunt. You can't stray too far once you're marked, the farther you go the weaker you will get," she paused to take a breath. "And the more feral the pack will get until they kill you."

"Unless-"

Imperator butted in.

"Unless you remain near the pack." Cirrus finished, remorseful.

"Thank you, Cirrus." Imperator nodded to the ghoul. She turned to you with a stern yet sympathetic expression.

"There is too much at stake. We have built so much, accomplished even more, and worked centuries to get where we are." She said, fervently.