save the last one

This is Y/N Grimes in season 2

With Sophia being lost after the herd on the highway, everyone was tense and scared that the group would never find her.

It was daylight and the group was by the RV, talking about splitting up.

The group heard bells. It came from a church just a little less than a mile up the road. You thought Sophia would ring the bell for help, or it was another group or even a someone ringing it but whatever it was, the group ran to it.

"It's on a timer." Glenn shuts it off and groans.

"What now?" You turned to Rick.

"Daryl, take everyone with you and search the woods. I'm going to hang back with Shane and we will stay here and cover this ground." Rick nods to Daryl and he nods, wanting to find this girl as much as anyone.

"Wait-" Carl stepped in front of Rick. "I'm going too."

Rick immediately looks at Lori. She raised a brow. "I don't always have to be the bad guy." Lori tells Rick.

"I'll go with you to watch over him." You told Rick and Lori.

With their minds at ease by the look of their faces, Rick nods. "Okay, let's go then."

You smile weakly at your mother Lori as she walks over to you and gives you a hug. "You watch over Carl, ya hear? Never let him out of your sight." Lori reminded you.

"Yeah, okay." You walked over to Shane who passed you a gun. By the looks of it, Lori hated seeing that in your hand but it was the only thing that kept you safe. You ignored her looks that she always gives you.

The two groups went their separate ways. You glanced back as Lori does the same, looking at you, Carl, Shane and Rick walk the other direction towards the woods.

Shane glanced at you. "You alright?" He placed his hand on your back and guided you through.

"I'll be better once we find Sophia. I hate seeing Carl like this." You honestly told Shane. You glanced up at Carl and Rick who were walking a couple of more feet in front of you and Shane. "Jeez." You grunted.

"What?" Shane stopped you for a moment while Rick and Carl stopped so Rick could reload his gun.

You shake your head. "My own mother. She doesn't trust me with Carl. To protect him, I mean." You cleared up.

Shane scoffed. "Y/N-"

"No, listen to me, Shane. She can't even look at me without doubting me. She can't leave me alone with Carl because she's afraid that I can't protect him." You sniffled quietly so Rick or Carl can't hear. Shane is the last person you wanted to open up to because you wanted to let him know you were tough and with this world taking over, Shane wasn't himself.

No one was.

With Shane knowing you even with Carl was born and you are nineteen and Carl is seven, Shane still saw you as a little girl that he would protect.

"Hey, Carl loves you and you are his big sister. He knows you will do anything for him." Shane steps in front of you and from behind, Rick and Carl turn back to see this happening. You wiped your tears quickly so Rick and Carl wouldn't see. 

Rick catches your eye and immediately becomes worried.

"It's just pollen. My eyes are just watery. You know how my allergies get." You lied right through your teeth.

Suddenly, you heard a rustling through the trees. All four of you went into high alert.

Carl distinctly rushes over to you and stands in front of you. You glanced down and placed your palm on top of his head and rubbed his hair. "It's okay, Rick and Shane are here." You whispered to Carl quietly.