Chapter Thirty Five

It wasn't a blazing day of sunshine, but it was warm enough for the little group to sit outside with their drinks – beers for the men and Kath, an orange juice for Lady. Kath had decided she liked Steve already. He was nice and smiley, with a mop of reddish-brown hair and neat glasses perched on his nose. He'd also offered to buy the first round, always a winner in Kath's book.

"She's going to be a bit...quiet, of course," Kath had primed James earlier in the day.

"Of course," James had nodded. "I told Steve about it all. It's OK. We won't be all full on or anything."

Lady was indeed quiet and as usual, overdressed in another tailored summer dress and pashmina around her shoulders, sitting a little stiffly behind her glass, but to Kath's immense relief she did look less tense than she'd expected.

"So! J says you've been at the firm a few years now?" Steve asked Kath, who nodded.

"First job after graduating, actually. LSE. Capital of numbers, haha!"

"Oh, awesome! You did Maths? Me too. Ask me how I ended up in Marketing! But I was at Nottingham. Tonne of fun, and a great city, actually." Steve turned to Lady. "How about you?"

"I...read Physics at University College London," said Lady, after a moment.

"Physics! Get you! And cool, another city girl! Bet going out in Central must have been brilliant!" Steve made a little boogieing motion with his arms. Kath laughed.

"We had some good times. Dreadful clubs. The kind where you stick to the floor. Ever been around Clapham High Street on a Friday?" She made a gagging motion. "There was a fish tank in one of the clubs, I mean, why? Although the drinks were mostly water."

Lady glanced over. "I should like to see a water-themed club..."

"Guess you didn't hang out in Clapham!" James said. "Who knows, you two might have passed each other before..."

"I was...not available for such activities," said Lady, staring down into her orange juice. A faint sadness passed over her face, and to Kath's surprise, she carried on, seemingly understanding a need to explain with at least most of the truth. "I was a national sports competitor at the time. This is how I funded my studies; through sports bursaries. Many of my course colleagues would speak of their parties, but...I was unable to attend.I would see them sometimes coming and going from events in their houses. They always looked very happy. Although they rarely seemed sober."

Steve burst out laughing. "Understatement! Nice. I like your style." Lady's eyes widened, her mouth a small, confused 'o'.

"...thank you?" Her pale cheeks pinked up, and the briefest, tiny smile crossed her lips.

"Met my housemates and a lot of my rugby squad at uni," Kath picked up from her, pleased Steve had chosen to not question the sadder part of the comment, and wanting to keep the conversation going. I'm amazing. I knew this was a great idea! Next time I'll get her and Pes to come out. We'll have dinner. A picnic. We could go to Kingston or somewhere. I'll show 'em the sights. We'll have fun, now. I'll even brave a cheese night at Inferno's with them...maybe. She beamed at James, who looked equally glad that everything was going well, although there was a faint sympathy in his eyes, too.

Rough life? He mouthed at Kath, who nodded.

You've no idea!

"It was little difficulty," Lady added. "I had...another friend, with whom I spent my time and do to this day." Her voice softened.

"Oh? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?" James had clearly also picked up on the tone change. Lady's expression turned a little bemused.

"We have known each other all our lives. I have observed this is not how a love partnership develops."