Chapter 116

Loki wakes up on the couch.

So much for not sleeping with the Mind Stone in the building.

Still, he'd say it was a good night's sleep — one of very few lately where he wasn't woken up by the Other's violence. And it seems he's not the only one who had a good night: Steve is asleep on the couch, his head resting atop the back of it. His neck is going to hurt like hell when he wakes up.

But Steve's impending pain isn't the most important thing on his mind right now.

No, that would be Wanda Maximoff, who's sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of him and looking up at the TV in wonder.

Immediately, Loki stiffens. What does he do? Does he say something? Should he just sneak out of here? Maybe he should teleport back to his room. She won't notice; she's enthralled by the black-and-white program on the television. He could easily sneak away before she realizes he's—

She looks over her shoulder at him.

Okay, maybe he can't escape unnoticed.

"I changed your program," she tells him. "I did not think you would mind; you were both asleep."

Loki's gaze shifts to the TV. He doesn't know what she's watching. It's nothing he's ever seen before, though maybe it's the lack of color that's confusing him. He's never seen the TV display only black and white. He hopes it's not broken. That would suck.

Wanda turns around, legs criss-crossed in front of her, and looks up at him. "It was you."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Loki lies. He knows exactly what she's talking about; he just doesn't want to join the discussion.

"You helped us fight Ultron," she says. "You are the ghost who stopped the train."

Loki glances at Steve, who, fortunately, is still asleep, before saying, "If there was a train that needed stopping, I am unaware of it — and I am certainly not a ghost."

Wanda furrows her brows. She looks at Steve, then back at Loki. "They don't know."

Loki juts his jaw out, frustrated, but doesn't answer. He's not going to confirm it. Not with Steve right next to him. What if he's not asleep? What if he's listening? But he can't deny it, either. Wanda obviously knows the truth.

"He can't hear us," Wanda assures him.

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do."

Loki narrows his eyes. Of course she does. She can read his mind, he's come to realize. That alone is enough to make him want to leave. He's spent his whole life keeping secrets, and they've only grown more grave as time went on. He's not ready to let those slip, especially into her hands.

She looks at him curiously. "You don't like me."

"You noticed?" Loki says with weak sarcasm.

"It's because of the gem," she continues, an air of uncertainty in her tone. "The Mind Stone, you called it."

"I've never called it that," Loki tells her.

"Not out loud," she agrees.

Loki clenches his jaw. "Stay out of my head," he hisses.

"They never told me what it was," Wanda says. "I don't think they knew." She tilts her head to the side, eyeing him curiously. "But you do," she says. "You know what it is."

Loki pushes himself to his feet. He's not having this conversation — certainly not with her.

Wanda stands up, too, the television long forgotten. "You hate me for something I know nothing about," she says. "I don't think that's fair."