Chapter 17

Akira slid to her knees with her blade clutched tightly in her hands. Behind her, her opponent shot off in a bright green streak in the sky. She released a deep breath, feeling her own body transport back to the bed within the simulation room. She laid there for a moment, staring at the ceiling. Sighing a breath of relief, she looked at the back of her hand.

4,076

A wide smile spread across her lips. She could finally relax. Akira swung her legs off the bed and hopped to her feet, doing a small celebratory dance by herself. She then exited the room and returned to her serious demeanor. The spectating room seemed mostly silent as they all watched her walk out, all eyes on her. The girl had unknowingly gathered a huge crowd to watch her break all of Border's records.

Also in the crowd lingered a wide selection of Border's top teams. They all seemed to analyze her; figure out where she suddenly came from. Wondering if she already had a squad commitment.

C-Rank agents began to flock around her like people would a celebrity, yet she kept walking. Questions were being thrown around left and right. What squad are you joining? You can join my team when I make B-Rank! Will you be the Captain of my team?

Akira continued to ignore the questions, proceeding to walk to the elevators. However, an unfamiliar blonde boy suddenly entered her path, halting her for just a moment.

"Going from C-Rank to B-Rank in just a few hours with a training trigger?" She cocked a brow as she looked up at him. It seemed others were also interested in this conversation as other official teams surrounded them. "That kind of talent needs to go somewhere with the potential to match. Sumiharu Inukai," he introduced himself, a taller dark haired male perched right beside him.

"Akira," she said simply. He didn't need any more than that. Especially not with that terribly fake suave act he was putting on.

"We could definitely use someone like you on Azuma Squad," another boy chimed in.

"We need another swordswoman on Nasu Squad!"

"I think we got dibs first, everyone," Inukai spoke out. The girl simply rolled her eyes, waiting for this interaction to be over. Suddenly, an arm was thrown across her shoulders, pulling her into the side of Izumi who held a smug grin on his face.

"These guys bothering you?" Akira narrowed her eyes at the teasing tone of his voice. She threw his arm off of her but remained close to his side.

"Where have you been?" The two engaged in conversation, completely forgetting about the crowd of people around them.

"Watching from afar with Tachikawa." Akira huffed, continuing her path toward the elevator with the boy in tow. "Sorry, everyone," he continued as he walked past people, cockily looking back at them over his shoulder, "she's taken."

Agents around the room watched as they stood in front of the elevator together. "Congrats on breaking another record."

"Wasn't that hard," she shrugged. "You were watching?"

"Duh." The girl turned her head to hide the reddening of her cheeks. "What do you want for dinner? It's on Tachikawa."

"Really?" Izumi nodded at her piqued interest at the mention of food. "Anything?"

"Whatever you want."

All of the new  and improved Tachikawa Squad sat on their squad-room couches, stuffing their faces with the takeout that the Captain had so graciously paid for. He was grateful, however, that Akira chose something simple rather than making them all go out for dinner. In fact, Akira just wanted to stay in and enjoy their company as teammates for the first time, rather than guards.