9. Forbidden Insight

Maturity Warning: So, this is a bit embarrassing but I really thought that this fanfic was set as mature. So, I will now change it to mature (not because of smut. I can promise you that there will be no smut). So, if you see graphic depiction of warning, or strong language used, you are already warned.

ARTHUR LEYWIN

"Okay let's revise our situation," Regis said. I wanted a bit of silence to clear my head. But in this realm, I needed to be distracted to prevent myself from losing myself.

"We currently are stuck in a place where common logic has abandoned us. Our brains are literally rotten the longer we are. Both of us are one step from madness, the lightest push and we would go over the edge. We can't use mana or aether. And we are now trying to fight a thing we can't see. Anything I missed?"

"First of all. We can distract ourselves from actively using our senses. Be it touch, sight, or even mana sense. Just having this conversation alone is enough. So that negates one of the problems. Second of all, about the monster, If we just run towards the portal faster, then we can escape. There seemed nothing that blocked our pathway except that monster and it seemed slow. Even without burst-step or mana, I think I can outrun it."

"Really? I didn't see that."

"Right, you became more messed up when you looked into that. Should I describe the glimpses of the monster to you?"

"Heck no. I feel like my sentience would be shattered if I understood the thing a little bit more. Even remembering it gives me a headache." Regis' headache was disturbingly seen as his wolf body almost seemed to glitch. It was disturbing what just knowing something could do to us.

"And you don't get a pain when I think about the monster."

"Nope. Wait, that's strange. So we don't get each other's insight. Including godrunes? Now that I think about it, yeah. Aroa's Requiem seemed like foreign art to me."

It was a good thing.

Aroa's Requiem, the ability to rewind organic objects with heavily placed limits, is one of the most dangerous abilities Regis or anyone could have had. I still feel not okay with the scorched rune on my back. The ability element itself was weird. It was either vivum or aevum. Since the ability worked with the lifespan of a user but then at the same time, it rewinds their body back in time. A combination? Another thing was that it didn't feel right, the base of it was missing. The principles, everything that the ability was built on were missing.

Aroa's Requiem was nothing more than a hiltless sword.

"Good to know. If one of us is corrupted, it doesn't seem like it would drag the other down."

"Does this even include if I die?"

"..."

"You can remake your form whenever you want, Regis. But what happens if I die? Do you live on your own then? Can you go wherever you want without the 5-metre range? Or do you also die? Or is it like the time of sleeping, but this time, you never wake up?"

"Are you planning to die?" Regis responded with a question of his own. Totally out of character like he was scared to answer it... or to know the answer.

"No."

"Then do not ask."

Perhaps he has seen something that he wished he didn't. His personality change was evident that I shouldn't push the matter.

We walked on the desired path. Making sure to constantly look down to avoid looking at it. My sense of danger screamed for me to look up and every fibre in my body spasmed. With each step I took, calmness and distress were instilled in my body. An odd combination of feelings bundled together.