Nikaah

The car ride was quiet. Too quiet.
As if the car was driving itself.
Not even the distant whispers of their breaths could be heard.
But surprisiny, the silence wasn't defeaning, it was peaceful. Peaceful enough that Noor lightly leaned her head against the window, watching the changing scenes through the window of the car.

It was nice, not having to care about her surroundings for once. It was nice having someone to drive for you once.

Insomnia never let her sleep, but the calmness of the night was intoxicating as Noor slowly dozed off into sleep.

But sleep never came alone, along came the nightmares.
The reminents of that one night.

Running, constant running. "Bhaag jao, Dil. Bhag jao."
Noor heard these same words over and over agin until every fibre in her body said the same thing, "Bhaag jao, Dil Bhag jao."

"Amma!!" she screamed but it wasn't just the little girl who screamed, it was her. As the realization hit her, she jerked out of her sleep to find Mairaaj holding both her arms as if to wake her up.
A foreign emotion on his face.

Worry, for me? No way.

"Tum theek ho?" Mairaaj asked her.
Noor pulled away her arm from under his grasp.
Furious at herself for letting him see the weak part of her.

Embarressment made her self conscious as she quickly opened the door and got off the car.

The car was in the middle of nowhere.

Darkness everywhere.

Noor walked, aimlessly, still unable to believe, what she did.

Shallow breaths, heavy eyes, wobbly steps, she walked without looking back.

Suddenly, Mairaaj grasped her arm and jerked her to face him.

"Kahan ja rhi ho?" he said, his voice loud.

"Choro mujhe." she said, her voice weak.

"Gari mein betho, Noor. Kuch bhi nhe hua. Tum khwaab dekh rhi thi. Kuch bhi nhe hua." he said lowering his voice in an attempt to calm her.

Noor looked at him, finally back to her senses.
She looked around, deep dark trees surrounded them from both sides and they only light came from the headlights of the car.

Noor sighed as she walked back towards the car and sat back inside.

What was she doing??

As the car ride progressed, Noor was wide awake and well aware of how Mairaaj was stealing glances her way, probably curious about her sudden outburst.

MAIRAAJ'S POV (cause my man deserves one)

I was absolutely furious, not only was she ready to marry me, she also signed the contract without any protest.

Ajeeb larki hai.

Then, I had to drop her home too.

I was honestly fuming when I first sat into the car but seeing, her slowly doze off to sleep, a weird sense of tranquility filled the car.

Aesa kia tha. Akhir vo sirf so hi rhi thi lekin uss ki sans lene ki halki halki awaaz raat ki khamoshi ko haseen bana rhi thi.

I quickly blinked trying to push the weird feeling away.

Wait.... but I didn't know where she lived.

I was still contemplating on what to do  when suddenly, the sound of her breath became louder and shallower as if she was  struggling to breathe.
She struggled in her sleep, as her eyebrows furrowed.