Chapter 32

A/N: This chapter is on the longer side, enjoy.

The past scene in the beginning of this chapter was actually the very first thing I wrote for this story.

It's interesting how one small idea can turn into an intricate story.

Thank you to all of my readers. I appreciate all the support.

Please vote, comment, and share.

Take care <3

_________________________________________________________________________

FIVE YEARS AGO

Herlina

I dipped my paintbrush in the bright yellow paint and swirled it around making sure to coat every strand of synthetic hair.

I had no clue what was bothering Brevin, but he hadn't talked much since this morning. I hadn't even heard any insults about me being twelve years old and still being willing to wear pigtails.

I glanced at Brevin. He was sporting the same outfit he wore yesterday indicating that his father hadn't bothered doing the laundry. Then again, when had his father shown any responsibility since his mother ran off and disappeared.

A pale purple shirt with holes that looked like it was once red and distressed jeans that weren't intentionally made to look that way, but rather time inevitably aged it, made up his clothing.

From what Brevin had told me, his dad's alcoholic ways had him living inside a dilapidated trailer in a reclusive neighborhood. I constantly worried about him, but he repeatedly assured me he was strong enough to protect himself. I feigned that his reassurance pacified my concern, but he was a thin boy due to the lack of nutrition. For that reason, I sneaked in an extra lunch in my bag whenever I could. If I couldn't, I'd share my lunch with him.

Mom and dad never hid their resentment toward my friendship with Brevin. I didn't understand the reasons behind their discontented expressions whenever they saw me wave a goodbye to Brevin before I hopped in the car to go home.

He had always been really tender-hearted and caring. He never gave me a reason to think otherwise. I didn't oblige to my parents' rule about abandoning Brevin. Instead, I hugged Brevin goodbye before we exited the school building and he sneaked in my bedroom to play or watch movies after school.

My best friend, Daya also thought I shouldn't be around Brevin. I tried to convince her to give Brevin a chance, but she didn't budge. So, we naturally drifted apart.

I recalled the time I watched him sitting alone in Kindergarten underneath an oak tree. I smiled when I remembered how I had decided to rectify the situation. We'd been inseparable since.

Taking the loaded paint brush, I brought it closer to Brevin's face until it was one centimeter apart from his cheek. He remained perfectly still. Yep, something was up.

"Herlina Coval!"

I flinched and turned around to stare up at the art teacher with bright curly red hair and the largest glasses I'd ever seen.

"That is unacceptable. Do not paint on your classmates, please." She gave me a warning glare before walking away. I released the breath I was holding from shock. When I flipped back around, Brevin was still painting his rose seemingly unfazed by his surroundings. I huffed out a breath.

"Brevin?"

"Hmm." He didn't even glance at me.

"Brevin." I said with more clarity and volume. Finally, his dark chocolate eyes held mine and I could immediately see the distress he was trying to conceal. There was a faint crease in between his lowered eyebrows. I could always decipher Brevin's emotion by his eyebrow placement and the shape of his eyes.