If I Died

INT. MY THOUGHTS. INDIA. DAY.

ANONYMOUS

If I died, I probably didn't, but rather used the opportunity to kill my former identity and instead, pursue other interests as a reborn, second character.

I would've left the place I was living in, either drove or caught public transport to a nearby or overseas town where no one knows my name or game. I would get there and find a way to get my name changed, maybe even pretend that I had no previous documents of mine because I had run away from a bad home environment. I would give birth to myself again...and this time, be someone that I want with a new name, new face, and new identity.

I would stand in line to get a new identification card, I would have my picture taken, this time with bright blue contact lenses, long black hair, and red fingernails and a lip. I would be asked for my name and I would say "Alaska", because I want to be as big and beautiful and known as Alaska.

I would leave, and find an apartment above a bakery or cafe, where every morning when I wake up from my white mattress, I would hear citizens chattering and music playing and bread smells coming through the air.

I would dress in black and lace, with red and blue if I felt like it. I would be honest and frank, but mysterious and reserved enough to keep myself safe. I would have no friends, but a million acquaintances, with whom I would share my stories, but never my memories nor trust. I would read novels and paint and draw tiny pictures, perhaps write a play or a movie or quotes for myself to stick in the corners of my bedroom mirror. I would be the girl strangers fall in love with, but never the one they would find again.

I would go wherever life takes me, I would travel when I could. I would stay home, sitting by the light of my window, and dream. I would work hard and make my own living and buy all the pretty things that I wanted.

I would live like I wanted to, in a new place with no one to call my own and no one to bother new. I would make my solitude beautiful, but make my short interactions with all strangers memorable.

* * *

If I died, I would be alive once again.