Chapter 7: Meeting Maya

Alison has taken her role as house counselor very seriously. She is preparing herself for a first session with a teen. She looks over the notes Maryanne gave her.

Name: Maya St. Germain
Age: 16
Known issues: ran away from a camp for kids with addictions, problems with authority

Alison walks into the room.

"Good afternoon, Maya, I'm Ms. Dilaurentis."

Maya looks up at her and she looks like she's seen a ghost.

"Your Emily's friend. The...the one who died. I live in your house now."

"I am very much alive but I am also very much not safe in Rosewood. But enough about me. Let's talk about you. What prompted you to run away?"

"I'm not some addict. They can't just send me away to camp because my girlfriends mom doesn't like me."

"Okay this is a start. Tell me exactly what happened from the beginning."

"I met Emily when I moved into your old house. My boyfriend was 3000 miles away and, well, Emily is just so gorgeous. So I went for it. Her mom found out and went through my things. She found one joint. One joint. Tells my parents and I get shipped off to a stupid camp. I met this guy there and we kinda hit it off. His name is Lydon. I told him I didn't want a relationship because I really like this girl so we just fool around but he wants more. I try to cut him off and he becomes a stalker. So I ran away."

Alison doesn't quite know how to handle Maya's 'I don't care' attitude.

"Are you aware of the things you could have done differently in this situation?"

"What do you mean?"

"We don't play the blame game here. In this house, we learn to take responsibility for our own actions. We acknowledge what initially sent us on this path and we address the role we played in ending up where we are today. So tell me, what part did you play in this?"

"I just smoked a little weed with Emily a couple of times. It was to help her."

"Was it to help her or help you?"

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm just asking questions, Maya. Trying to figure out how to help you so you can get back to Emily. That is if you do love her. I'm trying to give you the chance I never got and keep you from making the mistakes I did. Emily deserves a good girl. So I ask you, again, where did it go wrong? Take responsibility."

Maya looks at her, shocked.

"I...I guess the day we met. I knew she was an athlete and I offered her to smoke anyway. She stopped swimming and started spending all her time with me, once she accepted that she's gay. I fucked up, but I really do like her."

"Thank you for taking responsibility. You've taken the first step."

"If you were in love with her, why are you helping me?"

"I'm helping you because I love her. Like I said, she deserves a good girl. I messed up my chance with her. Don't you mess up yours. I'll see you next week for your next session."

"I don't think so, Alison. I don't think this place is a good fit for me but thank you for your help."

"I'm sorry you won't be staying. Take care of Emily, please. She's had her heart broken enough."

Maya smiles and they both stand.

"Thank you, Alison. I can see why Emily loves you."

"I know it isn't professional, but this whole session has been anything but. Can I hug you?"

Maya nods and holds open her arms. Alison hugs her.

"Despite your mistakes, I am so glad Emily has you."

Alison squeezes pulls back and squeezes Maya's hands before letting her go. Maya leaves and Alison feels tears prick her eyes. Of course she hadn't expected Emily to stay single forever, but she never expected to actually meet any of Emily's girlfriends.