Chapter 10: Emily's "A"ccident

Alison follows Emily to a barn in the middle of nowhere. She knows Emily is looking for Anne. Alison is worried about Anne too. Anne had figured out who A was and her knowledge came at a cost. Alison hopes that cost isn't her life.

Alison watches as Emily enters the barn, then she sees A close the doors of the barn and lock them. Alison chases A for a good bit before A turns, their face masked.

"Choose, catch me and Emily dies or save Emily and I get away. Tick tock, Alison. Time's running out."

A starts running again and Alison curses before running back to the barn and unlocking it. She drags Emily out of the barn. Her breathing is shallow but she is breathing. She rests Emily's head on her lap and runs her fingers through Emily's hair while she waits for her to wake up.

Emily wakes up and her eyes meet Alison's. She starts to sit up but feels weak.

"It's okay. You're safe with me now. Rest. You are the person I miss the most. You were the hardest one to leave behind. You have no idea how much I regret hurting you."

Alison caresses Emily's face.

"Are you really here?"

"Where else would I be?"

"Do you know who A is?"

"No but I won't rest until I find out and you are safe. Now rest, my love."

Alison leans down and presses a soft kiss to Emily's lips as Emily starts to drift to sleep on her lap.

"I love you, Emily. More than you know. Maya is a very lucky girl. I hope she doesn't take your love for granted."

After a little while, Alison receives a text from Andi.

'Other girls headed your way.'

Alison kisses Emily one last time before gently placing her head on the ground and retreating into the shadows. She watches as the others gather around Emily and Emily wakes up.

"Did you see her? Where'd she go?"

"Who? Dr. Sullivan?"

"No. Alison."

"All we've found is you. What even happened? Why did you come here alone?"

"A told me to. Said they would lead me to her. I thought they were talking about Dr. Sullivan but maybe they were talking about Alison. A locked me inside that barn with a car running. I remember calling for help and passing out, then waking up to Alison."

Emily touches her lips, still feeling the lingering touch of Alison's kiss.

"Did she say anything?"

Emily remembers the whole conversation clearly. Even the parts she knew Alison didn't expect her to hear.

"Just that she is going to find out who A is and make sure we are safe."

"That's it?"

"Um...yeah. That's all."

Alison notices a small smile on Emily's face and realizes she is lying to the others. Emily remembers.