Chapter 12: Fire, Blood, and the Ugly Truth

Alison has to switch with Andi every night because Emily has taken to doubling her morning exercise routine and added a nightly run. Alison struggles to keep up with the injuries she sustained before going to Maryanne's. Alison is outside of Spencer's. Normally she would just go into her old house and watch from the window but Jason has moved back in. Earlier that night, Spencer had dropped a bag of Alison's things off on the back porch.

Alison notices Jenna enter the front door. She isn't sure who let Jenna in but she sees a hooded figure leave. At the same time, Spencer and Hanna are coming back to grab Alison's bag. Alison attempts to run after the hooded figure when her leg gives out.

"Fuck!"

Mel runs over and helps her up as an explosion happens. They watch Hanna run in and pull Jenna out. Mel's eyes go wide.

"I was just right there. If I hadn't come to help you...."

Alison places her hand on Mel's arm.

"But you did. We cannot focus on the what ifs. Not when playing A's game. It will only make you spiral. Now go. Follow them to the hospital. I need a minute."

"Okay."

Mel nods.

After all emergency personnel leave, Alison rummages through the burnt up part of the house. She finds a lock box and breathes a sigh of relief. She opens the box and pulls out some files.

Spencer gets home and falls asleep on the couch. Alison let's herself in and puts the files on the table next to Spencer. She rumamges through the dufflebag and Spencer wakes up.

"Ali...what are you doing here?"

"To give you details to a memory you didn't know you had. And to get this."

Alison pulls a pocket knife out of the bag. Spencer sees the files on the table.

"Will these tell me who A is?"

"No. But A isn't the only monster to worry about." Alison reaches for Spencer's pain meds. "Do you mind if I take a few?"

Spencer just looks at her confused a she takes 3 of them, putting them in her pocket.

"I'm proud of you, Spencer. I haven't had the chance to tell you that yet. I heard you got clean."

With that Alison leaves.

Spencer POV

Spencer opens the files and finds medical and police reports. The medical reports date back to right before summer detailing a pregnancy and miscarriage. Spencer then looks over the police report, filed the day Alison disappeared accusing Ezra of rape. Spencer looks confused trying to figure out what memory Alison is trying to bring up. She ends up falling asleep surrounded by the papers. In her dream, the memory comes in clear.

Alison stands in front of Spencer, sobbing.

"Please, Spencer. He's trying to force me to have his child. I don't even remember sleeping with him. You are the only one smart enough to pull this off without killing me."

"No, Ali. I don't know if  I can live with doing that."

"You are speeding so hard right now you won't remember even seeing me today at all."

"Fine. Just don't tell anyone."

"Who the fuck would I tell?"

Spencer opens her computer and turns on incognito, researching how to perform a home abortion. She takes Alison out to the barn and lays out some sheets and starts the procedure. Alison does her best not to scream in pain. There's blood everywhere.

Spencer wakes up crying and in a sweat. She calls Emily and Hanna. They arrive.

"What's so important that you pulled me from my bed after what happened last night?"

"Alison dropped off some files. It triggered a memory very deeply hidden."

Spencer shows them the papers and they look at her.

"Wait, Ezra?"

"She came over one night, hysterical. Telling me about this guy. She didn't remember sleeping with him but he was making her keep the baby. Monitoring her appointments. She begged me to perform a knockoff abortion on her. I guess she finally got enough evidence against him to go to the cops, but then she disappeared. Without a victim, they had no case."

"How could you not remember performing an abortion on our friend?"

Spencer looks down.

"I was on drugs. After Ali disappeared, I got clean but there were still a lot of things I didn't remember."

"Does Ali think he's A?"

"No. She said that A isn't the only monster in our lives."

"How are we going to tell Aria?"

"I don't know. But we need to. As soon as possible."

The next morning their phones chime.

'It took a lot to get this. Do the right thing, and you all go free.'

Attached is a police recording of Alison's account of what had happened with Ezra. They watch it.

"I'm ready for this to be over."

Emily forwards the video to Aria.

"Em! Shouldn't we have done that in person."

"I don't think I can handle watching the contents of this video again. Aria is a big girl."