Chapter 2 - Survey Corps

⊶⊰❣⊱⊷ 1 year later ⊶⊰❣⊱⊷

༶•┈┈୨ 2nd Person POV ୧┈┈•༶

The 4 of you were walking back towards the house. A well dressed middle-age man stood stiffly at the stairs leading towards the house. He stared at his pocketwatch for some time before he noticed you guys.

"What's the deal, old man?" Isabel snapped, "You want something?"

"I've come for a job request," he replied swiftly.

"Did you get the wrong house? This isn't a handyman shop," Farlan drawled.

"I promise you a reward," the man said.

"Tch, go home you old man!" Levi said, pushing his way past the man.

The three of you followed Levi, ignoring the man as we continued to walk towards the stairs.

The man didn't turn around. "I've already paid the deposit though."

The four of you stopped in our tracks and turned to look at the man.

"You're kidding, right? We've never even seen your face before," You retorted.

The mysterious man went on to explain about how you could secure a citizenship aboveground and at the same time, he would ensure that your friend Jan's leg would be treated in a good hospital.

You stiffened when he mentioned Jan. His leg was getting worse and the only way he could seek treatment was aboveground.

"Fine then," Levi reluctantly said, deciding to hear him out.

⊶⊰❣⊱⊷

You followed the man up the stairs leading to the surface.

When the five of you reached the surface, the first thing you saw was a blinding light.

Is that the sun? You wondered.

The man was discussing something with another person who was seated in a red carriage.

Levi spoke. "Who the hell are you?"

"You might be wary of me. You will learn it's okay to trust me," the man sitting in the carriage spoke.

Farlan let out a snort. "How could we?"

The man explained how the fact he was in front of you proved everything, and that he was at great risk just by being here, and proceeded to ask if you had received the deposit.

"Hey, I might not know how things work on top, but here, it's called taking someone hostage," Levi warned.

The man smirked before saying that that was just a contingency plan. After the four of you had completed this mission, you would be getting not only a large sum of money, but a citizenship on the surface.

⊶⊰❣⊱⊷

"Levi, everything's ready," you said, buckling the straps of your 3D Maneuver Gear.

The four of you left the house in silence.

"We've got confirmation on Jan, he's in a first rate hospital," Isabel assured him.

"The identity of that man has also been confirmed," Farlan added, "This job's a real thing, are we doing this?"

Levi remained silent.

── ⋆☆⋆ ── Flashback ── ⋆☆⋆ ──

"Regardless whether you accept this job or not, the target will still make contact. In other words, you can't remain unrelated in this matter."