Chapter 3

Camden

"Marcie! Slow down!"

"Cam! Hey, let me just get this out of my hands. What are you doing here?"

"It's the third Friday of the month, I always come by to fix whatever is on your list on the third Friday of the month. We've done this for years, Marcie. Do you need to get your head checked out or something?"

"Oh, that's today already? This baby is taking up all my brainpower." I open my mouth to respond but she shuts me up before I can say a word. "Don't you dare worry about me! I just lost track of the days. Now, I'm hungry so we're having lunch early today."

Arguing with Marcie was never very successful, but arguing with a pregnant Marcie about food? I just give in right away, she will get her way in the end anyway.

She stops dead in her track, making me bump into her. She pulls me aside and points to a woman sitting in the back. "Look at her, she's been sitting there for hours just typing away on her laptop."

"Yeah? And why do I care about that?"

"I don't know. I wonder what she's been doing all this time. Maybe she's working on some secret project, or she's undercover."

"Mar, your imagination is going into overdrive, let's get you back to reality. She's probably just working, just like you have been all morning."

"Way to blow my fun, Junior."

We eat a bunch of grilled cheese sandwiches – Marcie's guilty pleasure food – and discuss the upcoming holidays

We eat a bunch of grilled cheese sandwiches – Marcie's guilty pleasure food – and discuss the upcoming holidays. "Have you heard anything about where mum and dad will be this Christmas?"

"Not home, that's for sure. Last time I talked to them they were on their way to Morocco."

Once Marcie and I moved out a few years ago they got a mobile home and started travelling around the world. They come back home maybe once a year but they text and call at least once a week.

Marcie and I have always been close but once our parents were not around anymore we became even more reliant on each other.

I remember when I had just moved out I didn't know how to cook, at all, and after nearly burning down my kitchen four times Marcie insisted I came to hers for dinner. For months I would go to hers at 6 sharp to have dinner together.

While talking to Marcie I notice my gaze drifting to the woman Marcie pointed out before. She must be about my age. She's wearing a faded university jumper, her hair messily tied on top of her head and a pair of glasses perched on her nose. Something about her makes me want to keep looking at her. That's enough reason for me to get the hell out of here.

I start to pack my things and tell Marcie I'll be upstairs fixing whatever is on her list today. Luckily she spared me this time around. Two lights that need fixing, a painting that needs hanging and some other small chores.