Chapter 12

Noa

Yesterday was super fun. Spending the day with Camden and Aydin was like experiencing some part of the childhood that I never had. It sparked something deep inside of me.

I let go of my perfect family fantasy a long time ago but I think I also pushed away the need to feel comforted and supported. A place where I don't need to be the adult who has it all together and can support myself.

I have friends who can make me feel at peace whenever I'm with them but none of them managed to reach my inner child the way Aydin has.

When he came over with that teddy bear yesterday I nearly cried. I don't think anyone ever gave me a teddy bear. And when he fell asleep against me, how he trusted me enough to be vulnerable like that.

Having spent two weeks in this town has made me rethink how I was living my life back in the city. Cooped up inside to write nearly all day every day. Always having to rush to get some place. Always having a crowd of people around.

I kind of like being away from all of that hustle and being close to nature instead. I never thought I'd actually enjoy being in a forest.

After taking a nap with Aydin and Camden in the blanket fort and building a racetrack for Aydin's toy cars, Cam brought him to his bed and we spent some time with just the two of us.

He didn't end up taking off my clothes like he suggested this morning. Instead we went back under the blankets and cuddled. And made out a little. Or a lot.

We decided that it would be best if I didn't stay the night since Aydin still wakes up multiple times a night and usually ends up moving to Cam's bed at some point.

Once Aydin woke up again they drove me back to the hotel and Cam and I set up a date for this morning. I've been on more dates just these two weeks than the past six months.

Camden and I are meeting at the bar in town. Turns out that in the mornings it serves as a coffee shop and breakfast spot for most people. Initially I suggested going to a café a few miles away that I saw online but with the roads still covered in snow that didn't seem like the best idea.

Marcie is watching Aydin for the morning, which is the main reason why we didn't go for coffee at the hotel. Camden insisted on having a date which didn't include Aydin.

Camden is already waiting for me outside the bar when I arrive. He gives me a hug and lets his lips brush against mine for a few seconds.

"Let's go in, otherwise I might end up taking you home instead."

He guides me through the door with a hand on my lower back. Is it bad that I wish his hand would go just a bit lower?

A few people greet Camden as we walk in. We order our coffees at the counter and take a seat at a table in the back.

"I have no idea what you're doing to me, Noa. In my entire life I've never gone somewhere just to have a cup of coffee."

"Look at you, changing your ways. Maybe we'll get a heatwave in January next."

"Real funny, darling. You better watch that mouth, otherwise I'll have to find another way to shut you up."

"I have absolutely nothing against that." Just the idea makes my heart race a bit faster. "But I can promise you I won't be quiet."

"Fucking hell, Noa."

Cam shifts uncomfortably in his seat as a waiter brings our coffees and apple pie. I say a quick thank you and look back at Cam. He's still looking at me, red tinting his cheeks.