Chapter 5

Camden

Last night has been on my mind ever since I woke up half an hour ago with a serious headache. It might have had something to do with the whisky I chugged after spilling my guts to the city girl. After she got back from dropping Rowan off, Marcie forced me to stay in her guest room. Where I still am right now. Somewhere in this building Noa is walking around as well, or maybe she's still sleeping.

I was planning to wake up early to avoid seeing her but that idea clearly did not go as planned. How can I ever face her again? I dumped all of my issues on her like she was my goddamn therapist.

Who even does that? Tell someone they don't even know all of their feelings and problems. Well, I did. I never open up to people, let alone strangers. I can't believe Kelly got me in that bad of a mood yesterday.

It felt oddly nice to tell someone about what's been on my mind for so long. Noa just sat there, let me ramble on without interrupting me. She comforted me. She made me feel at ease. I wish I could have as much confidence in me as she showed last night.

I finally gather enough courage to walk out of the room. The first person I lay eyes on is exactly the person I was trying to avoid. Noa. Who is sitting with my sister. Laughing so loud that everyone in the hotel must be able to hear them.

Please tell me they aren't laughing about my sorry ass. Marcie definitely would. Would Noa tell her what I told her last night? Would they make fun of me and the mess my life is? This is why I don't like having people around.

"Cam! Come here, join us." With heavy feet I make my way to their little table, which is too small for three people, but Marcie doesn't seem to care.

Marcie shoves a plate of French toast and a cup of coffee my way and I take a few sips of coffee right away. I very much appreciate my coffee every morning but something tells me I'll need it even more today. I dig into my food which gives me a reason to avoid Noa's searching eyes. I don't know what she's looking for but I will not show her. I will not let my guard down like that again. I don't know what it is about this girl that makes me want to open up and get to know her but it will only end badly. It always ends badly.

Our knees bump together under the table and I see her pull away just s quickly as I do. Which also makes me bump my other knee against Marcie who rolls her eyes at me.

"Oh brother dearest, before I forget to ask you,"

"What do you need me to fix now?"

"Well, some kids were playing outside with a football and they knocked down some of the lights and decorations. Maybe you have time to fix it before you leave?"

"Getting me to do your chores and kicking me out in the same sentence? Crude." She swats her hand at my shoulder but I barely feel it. Instead my attention was pulled to a soft chuckle coming from my right. Noa still has a soft smile on her face as she continues eating. "I will need a hand with those. Rowan helped me put them up last week."

"I can do that."

"No you can't. You will not be stepping even a foot on a ladder under my supervision."

"Way to make a pregnant lady feel useless." I shake my head at her, she knows damn well I won't let her do anything. That does not mean she has stopped trying to get me to give in for the past three months. And she probably won't stop for the next five either.

"I can help, if you need a hand. I have to fix everything in my flat myself so I know my way around a ladder." Why do her eyes have to be this big and soft. Why does she has to be this nice? How can one single person make me feel so many things at once?