Chapter Six

Desperately gasping for air, I sat up in my bed. For the third time this week, I woke up covered in sweat and tangled in my bedsheets. Each time I woke up I couldn't remember for the life of me, what was terrorizing me in my sleep. Untangling myself, I stood up from my bed. The cold floor made the pins and needles in my feet worse as I stood up. A soft knock echoed through my room as the door quietly creaked open. "Miss Y/n, I have your dress for today." I gestured for the maid to lay it on the chair as I stretched. "It's a bit cold out for a dress today. I'm going to wear something else." The maid nodded and quickly exited my room. I yawned and could smell my own dragon breath escape. Walking to my bathroom, I turned the shower on and glanced at the mirror sighing at my own reflection. My hair was a mess, my eyes were darker than usual, and dark circles were forming under my eyes. I needed a shower and makeup before I could meet anyone for anything. I had three meetings for the wedding alone. Lunch with Katakuri, and then I had to start dress shopping. The steam from my shower started to fog up the bathroom. I quickly tossed an extra towel over the mirror and began to strip down. 

Color returned to my skin after my shower, the makeup covered the circles, and I had pulled on comfortable clothes. A pair of dark gray leggings paired with a dark pink sweater and flat slip-on shoes. Happy with myself, I finally left my room. The hallway was bustling today. People of all shapes and sizes were speedily walking through the hall. I had to jog to keep pace. I made my way into Sweet city to meet Pudding and Brulee. 

"Brulee!" The purple-haired woman spun on her heel and grinned when her eyes met me. "Finally! What kind of cake do you want for the wedding?!" Pudding was shoving three different books in my face. "Anything is okay with me. I'd just like to choose the colors of the cake." Both women nodded and forced me to sit in between them. "How many tiers do you want?" I shrugged "As many that will feed everyone, I guess." Pudding looked annoyed at my half-ass answers. "Alright, just give me the colors." She pouted, Brulee didn't dare say anything. She was too busy keeping herself from laughing. "Dark pink and black for Katakuri's end, and just do gray and white for my end." Pudding nodded, she wrote my details down and slammed the book shut. "Now, onto the decorations!" She grabbed my arm and dragged me from my seat. 

.

After three and a half hours of looking at decorations for the wedding, my head is about to split into two with the headache I've gotten. "What about these Y/n?" I waved my hand as I tried to sneak away. I was outside for maybe a solid two minutes before Pudding found me. "How dare you leave me to plan your wedding?!" I rubbed my temples and slouched down in the chair I was in. "For the love of all that is holy, shut the fuck up." Surprisingly, she listened. "I don't care how everything looks. Do whatever you want. All I care about is what I wear and getting the ceremony over with." my head was pounding harder as I tried to massage my head. "I need something for this damn headache. I'll meet you later on at the bridal store, okay?" I stood up, my balance being off made it hard but it was manageable. I took a carriage back to the castle.

"Thank you, Smoothie. That smoothie and the painkillers helped tremendously." She didn't respond as I sat up. "I'm sorry for being a pest here. I gotta meet Pudding at the bridal store. Do you want to come with me?" She looked shocked but smiled softly. "Sure. I haven't had the honor of being married off, but I love seeing my sisters choose their dresses." We both left the infirmary and got onto another carriage back to Sweet city. It wasn't long of a drive before we stopped. Pudding and Brulee were both sitting in chairs in the showroom. "I've brought another judge," I announced to them. Their jaws dropped seeing Smoothie. "What? How did you convince her to join?!" I smiled and looked around. "I dunno. I just asked her and she said yes." I walked over to the first rack I saw that caught my attention. "Let's get this show on the road!" 

Seven dresses later, I started to get annoyed. "Alright. Let's try something I wanna try. I don't want princessy ball gown bullshit." I stomped past Pudding into the racks again. An attendant at my heels. "Miss! What are you looking for?!" They were toddler sized in comparison to me. "I want to try something closer to a trumpet or mermaid-style dress." Their face lit up as they laughed. "Alrighty! Follow me then!" They led me to a small rack in the back of the store. It had maybe ten dresses in total. "These are all we have. I'm afraid Big Mom isn't too keen on dresses that are not ball-gown style." I nodded and looked through the dresses. Three of them caught my eye and I picked all of them up. One was an off-shoulder pristine white with a traditional lace pattern over the top of it. The second was a halter-top white with black lace on top of it, little pearls adorned the center of the flowers in the pattern. The third was my favorite. It was a gray sweetheart neckline dress with black lace, the lace was plain webbed with no design to it, and it had a black corset back with a gem-studded belt. All of them were mermaid/trumpet-style dresses with semi-long trains to them. "If that is the style you are going for, I may have something that suits you better than those." I smiled down at the Bridal manager, "Thank you, I'd love to see it."  

"Mama isn't going to approve of the dress you picked." Pudding has spent the last hour lecturing me on my choice. "She doesn't have to approve, if she wishes us to be wed, she will have to accept that this is the dress I chose." Pudding clamped her mouth shut. She finally dropped the subject as we pulled into the castle grounds. A short guard ran up to me, gasping as he tried to catch his breath. "Miss Y/n! Katakuri has requested second lunch with you!" I nodded and waved the others off. Holding my dress in my hands, I went to my room and stashed it under my bed. The dress I chose resembled the one my mother once wore. I smiled and left my room triumphantly. 

I sat across from Katakuri again, He seemed in a better mood today. "You seem happy." His comment made me pause mid-bit of my cake. "I picked a dress today... Pudding says Mama won't like it though." I heard a scoff and I nearly turned around. "I picked the dress because it was beautiful and I love it. And it is our wedding after all. I'll let her control everything else with the ceremony, but my dress is my choice." His low grumble turned into a light chuckle. "You don't look like the type for the frilly dresses my sisters have all been forced into." "Definitely not." I laughed. A comfortable silence fell around us as we ate. I couldn't help but smile and look forward to our shared meals. I was starting to fall for him, I knew it all too well from all the romance novels I had read over my teenage years. "I'm starting to love you Katakuri." I heard him drop whatever utensil he had in his hand. He didn't say anything for a while. The comfortable silence turned mildly awkward as it continued on. 

Katakuri held a blank gaze at me and he looked frozen in place. My heart dropped as I set my fork down. When I turned around, his face was covered. His eyes held no expression as I stood up. I left the room without another word. As soon as my door shut and my head hit the bed, my body gave in to my heart's pain. 

Word count: 1,413