New Faces, New Problems

"Birdie, no!" A loud cry echoed through the forest.

Weiss paused where she landed in the forest, who was that?

She waited for a follow up but was rewarded with silence.

Well that wasn't her problem, what she needed to was find Pyrrha Nikos and become her partner.

A perfectly trivial and mundane task, that she could easily accomplish, the Grimm would fall easily to their combined force and the rest of Weiss's time at beacon would simply fall into place.

Now which way did nikos fall? But as Weiss looked into the forest she heard something.

" ᵗʰᵃᵗ ʷᵃˢ ᶠᵘⁿ."

Weiss looked around but failed to spot anyone.

So she dismissed what she heard as the wind, picked a direction she believed was reasonable and started walking.

She was a Schnee, she will find Niko's, she will pass initiation, she will prove that going to beacon was the right move and she will redeem the name of her company.

Everything depended on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruby's mourning of the bird lasted all of a second as she remembered what she was supposed to be doing.

Landing.

Firing off a few rounds from Crescent Rose to slow her down, Ruby then turned her precious weapon into its scythe form and caught the branch of a tree in her blade... only for it to cut cleanly through the branch.

She knew that Wash's idea of sharpening Crescent Rose before initiation was a bad idea.

Trying again she swung Crescent Rose at the nearest tree truck. This worked better and she used the momentum to spiral down the tree in a fluid motion.

Sarge's landing was far less graceful.

The red leader was unable to 'phase' through the tree branches and as a result was force to hit each as though they were made of steel.

"Oh, ah, ow, sonof a-" Sarge landed in face first in front of her. Before immediately springing up like nothing happened.

"You ok Sarge?"

"Dandy." Said the red leader indignantly "where to big red?"

Ruby folded up Crescent Rose and stored it at her back. "We need to find Yang." She told him seriously.

Sarge considered this for a moment before asking, "where did ya last see her?"

Ruby pointed in said direction.

"Right, then we are going that way." Sarge said as he pointed a couple of meters to the right of where Ruby pointed.

"But Yang was-" Sarge cut her off.

"Becaaaause," Sarge drew out, "you last saw her in the air, so odds are she's went further into the forest than that."

That... was a fair point. Odds are Yang used Ember Celica to get more air time out of being launched into the air.

"Your right, but how do we know how far she went?" Ruby said biting her lip in worry.

Sarge put a reassuring arm on Ruby's shoulder and gave a hearty laugh, "don't worry Ruby, we here at red team have a little something called gut instinct." He made a grandiose gesture with the other arm, "and mine has never failed me."

Ruby took a deep breath, "right, I trust you Sarge, grab hold of my hood."

Sarge did so, as he couldn't phase through it, and the pair darted off using Ruby's semblance to burst off at high speed.