Chapter 7

Things had been going well the past couple of days. Hershel was starting to get better and we were really becoming apart of the group. However we weren't nearly close enough to them for Dean to let them drive Baby. Carol, Daryl, Rick, and T-Dog were moving the cars around the prison and Rick offered to move Baby for Dean. In reply Dean said, and I quote, "You lay a hand on my girl and you'll lose it." I had been slightly worried about the prisoners that were still here, but Sam said the worst of them was taken care of and I trust Sam.

   While everyone else was busy I would spend time with Beth. Most of the time Scarlett tagged along with us but I didn't mind. She had been becoming stronger, at least emotionally. It sucked she had to grow up so fast but it is the only way she'll make it in this world. I laid on my bed, which was the top bunk, and threw a ball at the wall across from me. I saw Carl sit down on the steps and mess with his gun. I decided to go join him.

   "What are you doing?" I ask.

   "Making sure my gun's good to go if anything happens," he explains.

   "Just don't accidentally shoot anyone," I joked.

   "Then how am I suppose to get rid of you," he replied smiling at me. I faked a hurt gasp as Lori and Beth walked into the room. Lori was carrying a pair of crutches. Beth and Carl shared a smile as the two women walked past and Carl followed after them. I felt a strange feeling, but chose to ignore it. I stood up and followed as well.

   Hershel sat up on his bed and Lori told him to take his time. I was excited that he would walking around since it meant he really was doing better and wasn't going to die  Hershel tried to stand up quickly but fell a bit.

   He was able to get his bearings back, "You know, I'm pretty steady." Lori suggested he rest, but instead he wanted to go for a walk. I was impressed at how well he was doing. As we began the walk, Castiel and Scarlett joined us.

   "You're walking!" Scarlett exclaimed happily.

   "There's no way I was staying down for long," Hershel told her.

   We continued to walk outside of the prison to where they had been moving the cars. Dean was up here with Baby and Sam was with Rick, Glenn, and Daryl outside of the prison. Hershel was able to get down the stairs.

   "You cleared all those bodies out?" Hershel asked, "It's starting to look like a place we could really live in."

   Daryl, Glenn, Rick, and Sam looked up at us as they carried in some wood.

   "All right Hershel!" Glenn yelled.

   "Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl challenged.

   "Give me another day. I'll take both you and Hadley on," Hershel responded.

   "I'd beat both of you easily," I said.

   Carl scoffed, "No chance, Winchester."

   "We'll just have to see, won't we Grimes," I replied.

   He grinned, "Yes we will."

   I heard a noise behind us and Carl and I turned at the same time.

   "Walkers! Look out!" Carl shouted.

   I pulled out my gun and started to shoot at them, as did the others. Castiel and Dean stood ran up to me and Scarlett was hiding behind Dean. I noticed Hershel and Beth heading to a fenced off area. I knew Scarlett would be safer with them so I grabbed her hand and ran towards them. I shot at walkers as I went trying to cover both me and Scarlett.

   "Damnit Hadley. What the hell are you doing!" Dean yelled. I couldn't lose my focus by replying. I nearly made it to Hershel and Beth when a walker got really close to me. I tried to shoot it, but was out of bullets.

   "Shit," I muttered under my breath. I grabbed out my knife and tried to stab it but it grabbed my arm. I kept trying to pull away but I couldn't. I took a step back to get away and then tripped over Scarlett. I heard her let out a scream as she fell too. The walker was on top of me and I was partly on top of Scarlett. I continued to push the walker away until finally someone shot it in the head. I looked up to see Dean and Castiel rushing over to us.

   "We had to reload, what the hell were you think?" Dean asked.

  Instead of answering I helped Scarlett up and took her to Hershel and Beth. Hershel had just took a walker out with his crutch.

   "Can you watch out for her?" I asked. They nodded and I closed the fence around them and Hershel secured it with his crutch.

   I ran back to Dean and Cas as we found a way into the prison. The halls were packed with walkers. As we killed one, two more would appear.

   "There's a door up there. If we can close it, we can take out these walkers and start killing them at our own pace," Dean said.

   "I'll go close it," I said as my knife pierced a walker's skull.

   "Absolutely not, you almost died once today I will not let it happen again," Dean responded.

   "I'm immune, I can do it," Cas said.

   I shook my head no, "We don't know if you can survive another bite and the first one isn't fully healed yet. I'm the smallest, less area for them to grab. Cover me and I can close it."

   Dean regretfully agreed. I squeezed through the walkers as Dean and Cas took out any that got too close. I reached the the door but it wouldn't close. Walker parts had gotten jammed in it. I pulled them out but before I could close the door, it opened more and a bunch of walkers spilled out. I quickly got to my feet and ran in the opposite direction so they would chase after me. I heard Dean and Cas yell out for me. I knew I had to keep going. It was too late to turn back.

   I ran through the halls before finding another door I opened it and slammed it behind me. The room seemed to be clear but I double checked just to be sure. I sat in front of the wall and rested my head against it. I wanted to worry about my family, new and old, however, I couldn't. The exhaustion of the day was waring on me and I felt my eyes begin to flutter closed. I tried to fight it. I really did. In the end, I lost the battle and fell asleep.