Chapter 18

I stared at the ceiling as I laid in bed. I did understand Rick's reasoning. He was also trying to keep my family safe. I should be thankful that he was going to look out for them. Instead I'm upset. I don't think I'm mad. I almost feel expendable. Scratch that, I do feel expendable.

   "Hadley," Beth whispers, "Are you still awake?"

   "Yeah," I whisper back.

   "I just want to tell you....well I just thought you should know I would never have wanted Rick to give you up. You showing up here at the prison was maybe the best thing to happen in a long time. You're one of the most important people in my life."

   I feel tears start to prickle at the corner of my eyes, "You're one of the most important people in my life too."

   She's silent for a moment, "More important than Carl?"

   I can't help the smile that makes it's way into my face, "I'd say you guys are about even."

   "You don't have to lie to me."

   "I'm not!"

   "Whatever you say."

   I pack my things back into my backpack. We're going to leave the prison. Well pretend to at least. Hopefully this way we can defeat the Governor. I threw the bag into the backseat of Baby. I watched as Rick tried to talk to Carl but Carl ignored him. I followed Carl back into the prison.

   "Don't be pissed at your dad. You never know what could happen during this fight," I say.

   "Of all people, you should be on my side. He tried to trade you."

   "I am not happy about that, but he changed his mind and I think that's what matters. It shows deep down he's a good person trying to do what's best."

   "What if he didn't change his mind?" Carl questions, "How would you feel then."

   "We don't have the time to worry about those ifs. I'm still here that's what matters."

   "He knew I cared about you and was still going to give you away. I can't forgive him for that."

   I sigh, "You don't have to, but you need to look at the overall picture. Your dad's done a lot for you. For all of us. Some decisions won't be easy or they'll be bad but at some point you have to move on. If something happens to him and he thinks you hate him, you'll regret that for the rest of your life."

   "You might be right. But that doesn't mean I won't be angry at him for awhile."

   "That's fine, just make sure he knows you don't hate him," I turn to walk away, "Oh, and Carl."

   "Yeah?"

   "I guess I care about you too." We share a smile and I head back outside.

   During the attack, Carl, Beth, Hershel, Scarlett, Judith and I were going to be hiding in the woods. I would have fought against the decision but we need have much time left and I didn't want to waste what we did have. I gave a hug to my brothers and Cas before I left.

   We sit and watch as the Governor and his people pull up and go into the prison. Scarlett and Judith stay in the car. After a bit we hear gun fire.

   "I should be there," Carl says. I glance at him but don't say anything. The governor and his people run away and leave the prison. We hear footsteps running in our direction. A kid maybe two or three years older than me appears carrying a gun. We pull our guns out and point them at him.

   "Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Don't shoot," he says.

   "Drop the weapon, son," Hershel tells him.

   "Sure. Here take it," he begins to hand the gun to Carl. Carl doesn't reach for it and the boy slowly lowers it to the ground. I slightly jump as I hear a gun shot. The kid falls to the ground and I look at Carl in surprise. No one says anything as we make our way back to the prison. Once we get back, Scarlett and I are pulled into a big hug by the guys.

   "You okay?" Dean asks.

   "Yeah, I'm fine," I respond. I look over to Carl. We make eye contact and I turn my head away.

   "We're going to go to Woodbury to make sure this ends," Cas tells me, "You'll stay here with Scarlett?"

   "Okay," I agree.

   Sam raised an eyebrow, "No disagreeing?"

   "Nope," I say.

   Dean sticks his hand against my forehead, "She doesn't seem sick but I'm not a doctor. Unless being a love doctor counts."

   I smack his arm away, "I'm fine. I know that it makes the most sense for me to stay here."

   "Good. Stay out of trouble," Dean says.

   "I'll try my best. Stay safe." I hug them all once again and go to my cell. I climb up to my bed and grab the marker I left here. The rest of my stuff was still in the car. I doodle on the wall. It's how I normally pass time.

   "Do you think I made the wrong decision?" Carl asks  as he walks in.

   I stay silent.

   "He was going to attack us."

   "Or he was a scared kid who tried to get away from the fight. Who knows what the Governor would have done if he found him running away. He was probably forced to be there. Saving lives is important in this world. If we don't all of us will die."

   "He didn't drop it. He didn't drop the gun when Hershel told him to."

   "He could have been panicking...or he could have been faking to kill us. We'll never know. You have to live with what you did Carl. It's not for me to stay whether it was right or wrong."

   "So you're not mad at me?"

   "No, I'm not."

   The next morning the group returns with a bus full of people from Woodbury. They're going to live with us now. Unfortunately, Andrea was bitten and died before the others could get there. I'm glad they were brought here. We could start to build a community. Have a fresh start.

   Later on I found Daryl outside. I made my way over to him.

   "I never got to tell you I'm sorry about Merle. I couldn't imagine losing a brother."

   "He made his choice. He helped us out."

   "Still it can't be easy, especially after you just got him back," I say.

   "I'm sorry he tried to kidnap you," he looks over at me, "I've been meaning to ask you something."

   I furrow my brow, "What is it?"

   "One of your first nights here, I heard you talking to Castiel about something. Heard you mention something about being immune. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want to scare you off."

   "Oh, that was nothing. It's passed now."

   "Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen the guy eat."

   I look to the ground, "If I tell you, you'll think we're crazy."

   "The dead walk. I'm not sure much could surprise me."

   "You can't tell anyone else." He nods his head in agreement. "Okay, here it goes...."