Chapter 13: Peggy's POV

"Can I get you something, Mr Barnes?" I said as I stood from the sofa, walking towards the kitchen.

"It's Bucky" he said from behind. "You makes me feel old when you calls me Mr Barnes" he chuckles.

I didn't respond to his laugh. I couldn't. My heart ache hearing the loss of Steve's mum. And according to Bucky, everything happens in front of him. When he was just 7. That small sweet boy experience something terrible that no child should experience. Is that why he is always mean to everyone? Is that why he rejects everyone that actually wants to show him that he's loved? Like me? 

I brush off my thought after hearing Bucky's phone rang. I opens every cabinet in search for a cup to make a coffee. I opened the first but none. Second, still nothing. Mostly everything but nothing can be found except some campaign glasses and glass plates. 

"I cannot offer him a coffee in a campaign glass" I mumble under my breath. Thinking what can I do, I took the campaign glass and pour some water. "That's it" I said walking out of the kitchen towards Bucky.

"Okay, is there any theme that we should follow, man" he is still in his phone, busy with his conversation. "Cheer, buddy. I'll be there. And for sure Sharon loves to join. Catch up later, Sam" he ended the call. 

I reach forward and pass him the water. 

"Water in a campaign glass? Interesting" he winks

"That's all here. No cups at all" I said

"He's a man of alcohol, Peg. Trust me he hates coffee" he added

I briefly closes my eyes thinking what else he hates. Mostly everything.

"Hey, I almost forgot. Tonight Sam is having his anniversary party at his penthouse. He wants everyone to join, including you and Steve since you're newly wedded couple" he stood up, looking at me.

"Huh? But..I'm sorry I don't think I will join. I'm not into this parties, drinking all" I said. "Steve will join you guys, I guess" 

"Peg, please. Everyone will be paired up there. You should come. I insist" he forced me

How can I go? Even if I want to, will Steve brings me with him? He just asked for a divorce. It's very obvious that he hates me. He has shown it many times. He will definitely refuse to bring me.

I know Bucky is waiting for my assurance, but what can I say?. I just face down without looking at him. I want him to know that I'm not going to make it to the party. Especially with Steve.

As if he's reading my mind, he step closer to me. "Don't think he hates you, girl" he said. "He's a good man. Like I said earlier, he doesn't know how to love, because no one shows him how to" he releases a huge sigh, "maybe you can show".

Me? What I can do? How can I show him the love? I believe most of his friends have tried but it seems all doesn't work. Steve is still cold and mean. How can I change him? His unaccepted wife, a stranger, the one he really wants to divorce. Impossible

He steps away, walking towards the door to leave. Before he steps out, he glance back at me with a smile. "Hope to see you both tonight, girl". He left.

I'm standing in the middle of the living room with full of questions. What can I do? How to escape this complicated life? What shall I tell my parents? What will be my next move? And a new question pop up. Will Steve bring me to the party tonight?.

As I was in the middle of finding all the answers to the hanging questions in my head, the front door flew open. 

Oh my God.

He's standing near the door, one hand holding the knob and another in his pocket. His hair is a mess and his shirt crease slightly. His Rolex is hiding behind his wrist hand cuff. He looks bloody hot. 

For a shock, he doesn't look away from me. Our eyes locked for a moment. There's really something in there. His eyes is confessing something. Something like "pleading". His lips are thin straight. But his eye.. He's not looking away. And me I'm hypnotize by his look.

To avoid the weird silence, I quickly look away, walking towards the kitchen. I'm walking but I couldn't feel my legs. Even though I'm not looking at him, I'm very sure I feel his eyes following my back. The way to the kitchen looks like a 1000km away from the living area.

As soon as I reach the kitchen, I place the campaign glass that I offers to Bucky a while ago and rinse it with clean water. My mind travels to many places. My heart beating very fast and all of a sudden I feel very uncomfortable. 

When I place the glass in the cabinet, I turn around to head into the living room. But as soon as I turn, my heart almost leaped. He's standing in the kitchen, holding the door frame. He bites his bottom lips while looking at me. I couldn't face him, afraid I might faint out of his gorgeousness.

As he has sense my nervousness, he cough slightly to get my attention. 

"Get ready tonight at 8pm" he said with a rough, husky voice. This time he didn't look at me. 

"What?" I said, thinking whether I heard him right.

He sigh and repeat back, "I said get ready tonight at 8pm". He turns and left without telling me why I need to get ready for. Even though I knew the reason. Bucky told me about the party.

He wants me to come? Am I dreaming or? I thought he asked for a divorce? 

A small smile escape my lips. "Maybe Bucky is right. He doesn't hate me" I mumble to myself. My heart is swelling.

And then this weird thought attacked me.

Wait a minute!

Bucky told me it's Sam's wedding anniversary? And yesterday Steve was asking Bucky to call Sam to prepare the divorce papers. Is both the Sam the same?

What if Steve wants to bring me there to the party and divorce me tonight?

Oh Good God!!

My excitement now turns into a total despair.

TO BE CONTINUED...