•I•

Ruby

"I'm just saying you should go out with the guy. Just one date!" Lauren begs with her second HighNoon in hand. "He's cute, respectful, and working to get his PhD! What's not to like?"

I look her up and down with a tired set of eyes. "You seem to have more interest in him than I do, why don't you go out with him?"

She rolls back in her chair, "You think I don't want to? If it were me, we'd be having sex in Cancun right about now." Lauren closes her eyes and daydreams in pure delight.

"Then why don't you?" I ask, chewing an ice cube.

Lauren hides a blush with a sip of the can. "Well, if you must know... things are finally starting up with Derek. I actually have plans with him over Christmas."

I almost choke, "Lauren! The hell do you mean "if you must know?" Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Lauren has been absolutely fawning over her co-worker for over a year now, Derek Corman. I'd be lying if I said she didn't have good taste.

"I don't know, I'm still hardly processing it myself and it's been almost a week."

"Tell me everything." I say putting my feet up on the empty chair next to me. "And don't leave anything out."

"Uh-uh, I'll tell you about that later, right now we're talking about Grayson."

I put my feet down and groan. "Stop meddling with my love life, will you?"

"It's not meddling if you don't have one to begin with," she snaps with a brow raised. "Look, Grayson is a great guy, will you just go on a date with him? I think you'll really like him," she says sincerely.

"Really?" My forehead wrinkles together in doubt.

She glowers at me and holds her gaze for a second. Two seconds. Three seconds. Ten seconds.

I sigh and take a sip of my beer. "One date. That's it." I say, giving into her pleads.

"Yay! I'll give you his number," she says pulling out her phone. Before I can take it from her she pulls her hand back. "Make it count though, I know you're not big on feelings and everything but try to show a little emotion? I don't know if Grayson can carry the weight of all the fun on his shoulders like I do."

My eyes burn into hers as I snatch the phone away from her and type in the number.

I don't bother creating a contact for this guy, I'll only be blocking him later.

_____

I head to work the next day on three hours of sleep and a writhing hangover. Getting drunk and staying out until 2:00 a.m is not a nice combination, which, of course, I knew. I sit at my desk and read through emails thrice over, waiting for my brain to process the information on the screen. "Ruby?" A voice behind me calls.

I turn around to see Freddy, my desk neighbor. "Oh, hey." I say, my eyes focusing on the two coffees in his hands. "Who are those for?"

"Oh, me and you."

"Thank goodness." I say, practically snatching the drink from his hand. I inhale the coffee like a drug.

"Take it easy! Jeez, you look rough." Freddy laughs as he slouches down into his chair. I sink deeper into mine.

"Do I now?" I retort and click away. "How's the boyfriend?" I ask half asleep.