Chapter 2: Drew

Ugh. That was the worst one-night stand of my life.

I should have just stayed with my friends.

But that hot jackass had me so riled up that I couldn't see straight. So, I ended up letting someone I was not attracted to take me home and fuck me.

And the worst part?

I had to fantasize about the asshole the entire time to get off! What the hell!

And now, here I am, quietly leaving this rando's apartment at five in the morning, hoping he doesn't wake up and make things awkward. And I'm still thinking about how I wish the other guy had been the one eating me out. He had a nicely trimmed beard. I love it when guys have beards. And I just know, from the bottom of my soul, that sex with him would have been out of this world good.

What a mess.

I sure do know how to pick 'em.

Once I'm safely out on the street, I let out the breath I've been holding. I was out last night for the first time in what feels like forever; my friends and I were celebrating graduating from our Master's programs. Not twenty-four hours ago, I was defending my dissertation and earning my degree in Organizational Psychology. These last few years have been intense.

But now, it's time to double down and find a job I feel passionate about. And forget about the smoke show from last night. I'll never see him again, and that's fine by me. Or at least, it will be. Once I figure out how to stop imagining him naked.

My phone pings with a notification, and my heart starts beating a million miles a minute. I've been waiting to hear back from my dream job about an interview, and while I tell myself not to get my hopes up, they are definitely up.

I'm immediately let down when I open the email.

Dear Ms. Carlson,

Thank you very much for applying for the Director of Organizational Development position. We had many qualified applications, and our committee reviewed each one thoroughly. At this time, we've decided on a different applicant; however, we hope you will consider future open positions with us and welcome you to reapply...

Shit. I guess it's back to square one.